Bugglz

Fossil sites worth visiting in NZ

Bugglz    0
Bugglz

I'm heading across the ditch for a holiday in April and was hoping to spend a couple of days checking out some fossil sites. Anyone got any suggestions? Would love to find some ammonites and trilobites, also any bone fragments. 

Fossildude19    3,635
Fossildude19

Hello,

My understanding of the law in NZ is that it is illegal to remove any fossils from the island, so it appears you will have to add anything you find to your photographic collection. ;) 

LINK

"The illegal export, or attempted illegal export, of a protected New Zealand object could result in the object being forfeit to the Crown, a fine of up to $100,000 ($200.000 for a body corporate) or up to 5 years imprisonment."

Regards,

Carcharodontosaurus    13
Carcharodontosaurus
On 16 February 2017 at 4:07 AM, Fossildude19 said:

Hello,

My understanding of the law in NZ is that it is illegal to remove any fossils from the island, so it appears you will have to add anything you find to your photographic collection. ;) 

LINK

"The illegal export, or attempted illegal export, of a protected New Zealand object could result in the object being forfeit to the Crown, a fine of up to $100,000 ($200.000 for a body corporate) or up to 5 years imprisonment."

Regards,

You can export fossils with a permit, which can be applied for.

Dave (POM) Allen    62
Dave (POM) Allen
On 2/20/2017 at 1:29 PM, Carcharodontosaurus said:

You can export fossils with a permit, which can be applied for.

Under the Protected Objects Act, export means:

• placed on board any craft for transportation to a point outside New Zealand; or
  • taken into a Customs controlled area or Customs place for removal from New Zealand; or
  • delivered as a postal article into the control of a postal service provider for removal from New Zealand.

The illegal export, or attempted illegal export, of a protected New Zealand object could result in the object being forfeit to the Crown, a fine of up to $100,000 ($200.000 for a body corporate) or up to 5 years imprisonment.

Submitting an export application

If you are planning to send any object which could fall into the 9 categories of protected objects overseas (i.e. over 50 years and with some association or significance to New Zealand) please contact us to us to seek advice in the first instance.  This applies whether the objects you wish to export are your private chattels, whether they are a gift, or whether you are selling or have sold them to an overseas buyer.

You will have to download the application form, sign it and post or fax it to the Ministry. The Ministry will not accept your form electronically or with an electronic signature. This is because of the declarations you are required to sign.

An application form can be used for one object or multiple objects traveling in one consignment.

The provenance or history of the object is very important in assessing your application. The more information provided in this question, the easier it will be for experts to consider your application.

In the case of applications to export art works or taonga tūturu, you need to include colour photographs with your application. You can email these to the Ministry at protected-objects@mch.govt.nz. If the object is deemed to be a protected New Zealand object, you will be required to submit photographs of the object prior to the Chief Executive coming to his decision.

Please note that it can take between 2 to 10 weeks before the Chief Executive comes to a decision on the export of the object.

my opinion is nz fossils stay in nz period

Doctor Mud    400
Doctor Mud

Although part of me is ok with people thinking it is illegal to take fossils out of New Zealand, this is not accurate.

As a New Zealander I perhaps would be happy for people to think our fossils are not to be removed, but in the interests of accuracy I thought I should correct this.

I know TFF members with New Zealand fossils and I wouldn't want them thinking they had done something illegal by collecting them themselves from NZ or trading for them.

It is illegal to export or remove Protected Objects. Some but not all fossils are categorized as protected objects.

Fossils that are protected objects:

From Schedule 4 of the Protected Objects Act http://www.legislation.govt.nz/act/public/1975/0041/latest/DLM432617.html

3)Objects in this category include—

• (a)a category of type specimen as defined by the current edition of the International Code of Botanical Nomenclature, the International Code of Zoological Nomenclature, or the International Code of Nomenclature of Bacteria: Bacteriological Code:

• (b)a specimen considered to be scientifically important for defining a taxon through having been illustrated in the original description, or new material subsequently illustrated (that is, hypotypes) and used to expand or refine this description in the scientific literature:

• (c)a specimen of an extant or extinct plant or rock or mineral, animal, or other organism or fossil or part thereof including any developmental stage, shell, or skeletal or supporting element, of which there is not a sufficient selection in New Zealand public collections to define the variation, range, and environmental context of the taxon or object.

This does not include all fossils. Still please, like we would expect elsewhere in the world be respectful of our fossil deposits only collect for yourself and not mass sale (This may be illegal) and contact an expert if you think you have something important.