Oligocene Calcaneus Bone Hamstead Isle Of Wight

TXV24

Hi, 

I'm Theo I'm new to the forum (I'll properly introduce myself on the introductions pages) and I've been collecting from the Oligocene beds on the north east coast of the Isle Of Wight for some years now. Yesterday afternoon whist collecting on the coast at Hamstead I came across this bone on the foreshore. I can tell it's a calcaneus bone and my initial thought was a mammal but I'm not sure. (I also stumbled upon some quite nice Bothriodon? incisors). Any help in identifying the calcaneus would be much appreciated. 

Thanks, Theo 

IMG_4540.JPG

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply! Here's the other views of the bone (I may have to post in more than one post due to size limit):

IMG_4545.JPG

The bone appears to be a calcaneum, but too many diagnostic features are missing to confidently identify it further.

"Calcaneus" is usually used to refer to the human heel bone.  "Calcaneum" is the Latin generic large tarsal in vertebrates.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

I have one from there too.  I will try to compare mine to yours.  Mine was IDed buy a local expert, so if they are similar, we might have answer.  But it is at home.  I am at work. 

Thank you all for your help, yes the bone is quite heavily worn and only a part of the full calcaneum (I've learnt the proper name now aha!) so I'm not surprised it's not very identifiable aha! It'll be really interesting to see if it matches with your find though jpc as that would definitely help point in the right direction if it is.

Archived