Unknown Shell from Florida???

minnbuckeye

Just returned from a fabulous trip to Florida. Had the opportunity to hunt fossils for two days in two different locations, each day being productive. Will post more on this later. The item in question was found in a construction site near Venice Florida as I was going to dinner. It has me baffled. Looks like a clam stuck on top of something else. But the ventral view shows that this is all one piece. Hope an answer exists!!! 

DSC_0590.JPG

DSC_0589.JPG

@MikeR may know this one. ;) 

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Arc shell. Too broken to identify down to species so Anadara sp.

• I found this Informative 2

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

Thanks MikeR! Actually had the answer right in my little baggie of fossil shells. After listening to your thoughts and then bringing up images of Anadara sp. , it dawned on me that I kept one from the location I collected in. Sure enough, it was complete and  it was a match, maybe not the same species, but the anatomy is definitely there. I always considered  Anadara like shells to be so plain looking. I now have a new perspective of this shell after seeing some of its more subtle  intricate design. 

DSC_0592.JPG

DSC_0591.JPG

• I found this Informative 1