Help with removing matrix from a fossil tooth

dontom

I got this Titanother tooth the other day and I wanted to clean some of the matrix off.  I was wondering if anybody had any tips or tricks on how to do this.  What kind of tools should I use.  Should I soak it in water first?  Should I just leave the matrix on there?  Any advice and tips would be appreciated.

Thanks Tom

image1.JPG

image2.JPG

image3.JPG

image4.JPG

image5.JPG

image6.JPG

Do NOT soak it in water.  See all those little cracks in the tooth?  They water will go in there and potentially make 1000 tooth pieces out of one nice tooth.  I am assuming you don't have any prep tools.  Dental picks are good for this.  Your local dentist might give you some old ones.  If not him/her, the next one will.  A little bit of water on an old toothbrush might help soften the matrix.  (Notice this is different from soaking).  But picking with dental pick should work. Stick to the stuff on the chewing surface.  The rest near the base of the tooth looks like it is actually part of the jawbone.   Good luck, have fun and keep us posted.  Feel free to ask more questions. 

• I found this Informative 2

A carbide needle, chisel point ground would work or a pointed Xacto blade. However, as you can see there are a fair number of cracks in the fossil itself. How stable it is?? Can it withstand the pressure brought about by scraping?? Who knows?? So, go slow and have superglue standing by to immediately mend any mischief. I am not discouraging you from attacking the matrix, I would. Just be cautious.

I see jpc has given expert advice while I was two-finger typing. As he directs, have fun.

• I found this Informative 2

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Thanks for all the great info.  The tooth feels very stable so I think I'll be ok especially if I stay away from the roots.  My brother is a dentist and I have a appointment with him on Thursday so I'll see what kind of goodies he can give me.

Thanks again.

• I found this Informative 1

If you can't get any dental instruments from your brother, stores like Harbor Frieght and some hobby stores carry them.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

I agree with JPC, concentrate on the crown and leave the root alone and you will have a tooth like this Rhino tooth of mine.

IMG_0143.thumb.JPG.63dad53136deb0d771c59a8dd583dd84.JPG

On 2/13/2017 at 11:58 AM, jpc said:

Do NOT soak it in water.  See all those little cracks in the tooth?  They water will go in there and potentially make 1000 tooth pieces out of one nice tooth.  I am assuming you don't have any prep tools.  Dental picks are good for this.  Your local dentist might give you some old ones.  If not him/her, the next one will.  A little bit of water on an old toothbrush might help soften the matrix.  (Notice this is different from soaking).  But picking with dental pick should work. Stick to the stuff on the chewing surface.  The rest near the base of the tooth looks like it is actually part of the jawbone.   Good luck, have fun and keep us posted.  Feel free to ask more questions. 

JP,

Right, don't use water but you can use acetone.  It's a mild solvent that dries quickly.  You can use an eye dropper to apply it.  I always use a secondary container like one of those little jelly jars or a squirt bottle made to contain acetone.  I've used acetone on a wide variety of tooth enamel/enameloid in a variety of matrices and have never noticed any damage on the teeth from it.

I use scalpels to scrape off matrix.  You can buy handles and blades from Kent's Tool's or similar tool/medical supply dealers.  When using acetone, you should wear appropriate gloves and safety glasses.  When using scalpels, always wear safety glasses.  At least twice while using a scalpel and wearing safety glasses, I pressed the blade a little too hard and the tip snapped off and bounced off my glasses.  Yeah, it's a good thing I listened to an old man about that.  I hope to be an old man with two good eyes so I wear safety glasses whenever I prep fossils.

I'll say it again for anyone who just skimmed my post and didn't draw a conclusion.  Wear safety glasses when you prep.

Jess

2 hours ago, jpc said:

so, Jess... are you saying acetone alone will dissolve or soften the matrix?  

No, because it is a mild solvent, acetone doesn't work on everything.  I can't think of a time I tried it on the Chadron beds matrix but it is something to try.  There are different mixes of debonder to use but you have to be careful because they are stronger and can discolor-damage enamel.  Acetone is great for specimens that have been soaked in glue in the field though it can be rather slow.  That's when you would experiment with debonder.

Also, I should have added that a pin vise is a great tool for the beginner and professional preparator.  It employs a great amount of force to a fine point.  Two friends who are longtime expert preppers still use pin vises.  A pin vise is basically a sharp pin or needle set in a base that is easily held in your hand.  I know preppers who mold 2-part putty into a shape that is comfortable to hold and use and set a pin/needle in it before the putty sets so they have a custom pin vise.

Jess 

On 2/13/2017 at 11:35 PM, Nimravis said:

I agree with JPC, concentrate on the crown and leave the root alone and you will have a tooth like this Rhino tooth of mine.

IMG_0143.thumb.JPG.63dad53136deb0d771c59a8dd583dd84.JPG

This tooth looks like a piece of chocolate with a gooey caramel center! Mmmm, Yummy!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.