Coral ? From Algeria (laghouat saharian Atlas moutains)

derg

Hello! i have found this rock laying on the surface of a dry saharian river. It is a dark blue hard limestone with some fossils in it.  This facies is known here as between upper oxfordian and lower Kimmerijian. I think it's a kind of coral. Is it really? i have put some "vaseline codex" on the rock to make it more bright. Sorry for my poor english.

Site: Laghouat, Algeria, north africa.

IMG_2265p.JPG

IMG_2269p.jpg

IMG_2270p.jpg

Welcome to the Forum. :) 

Maybe these fellows can make a determination.

@TqB,  ... @FossilDAWG 

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thanks , very helpful!

Did anyone tried to obtain  a thin rock slice  with i may say "a garage tools" ( not those expensive professionl ones)?

I agree, not a coral but a stromatoporoid is a good suggestion.  Sections would be nice, but the natural section in the photo you posted is quite good.

Don

• I found this Informative 1

Interesting.  I had to look up stromatoporoid

Laghouat... I was there a few times many many years ago... 1993.  

I did find some corals at Taghrit.

Interesting! I did think it looked spongish before I saw the comments that followed, but I had assumed that stromatoporoids were restricted to the Paleozoic.

Very nice finds.

Yes! very strange fossils theses stromatoporoids!  but they were also  reef builders in the mesozoic  era, especially upper jurassic. Hard to study because they demand thin slices and a microscope, consuming time and money.

Here is more other samples of these fossils, same location; Laghouat, Algeria(DZ), North Africa.We can see two new fossils. Washed with water and a brush they look blurry . Wiped with some vaseline they look beautiful.

IMG_2343p.JPG

IMG_2347p.JPG

IMG_2353p.JPG

IMG_2354p.JPG

IMG_2358p.JPG

IMG_2361p.JPG

IMG_2362p.JPG

IMG_2365p.JPG

Thank you TqB! palaeozoic? no! the geologic map of this area doesn't show outcrop lower than oxfordian stage. It seem's then that corals and stromatoporoids were sharing the same "paleoecological conditions" i may say.

13 hours ago, derg said:

Thank you TqB! palaeozoic? no! the geologic map of this area doesn't show outcrop lower than oxfordian stage. It seem's then that corals and stromatoporoids were sharing the same "paleoecological conditions" i may say.

Thanks, maybe it's something like Thecosmilia but I don't know much about scleractinians!

You have an interesting assemblage there.

Tarquin

19 hours ago, TqB said:

This one is a coral (you can see septa), possibly rugose. Could some of these be Palaeozoic?

18 hours ago, derg said:

Is there a possibility that these are Palaeozoic rock clasts from a Mesozoic conglomerate?

Kosmoceras: geologic map of these area shows that these rock clasts are quaternary conglomérates ( q 3-4 and q 5-6). All theses fossils were already mentioned  in their original outcrop ( mountain Lazreg)  as jurassic (upper oxfordian- lower kimmeridjian). No paleozoic (outcrop or rock clast) found in this area (Laghouat) since more than a century of geological studies. 

You might need this document for your corals and stromatoporoids: L. Beauvais and S. Nouiouat. 1993. Une nouvelle faune de coralliaire jurassiques dans l'Atlas sahariens d'Algerie [A new Jurassic coral fauna from the Saharan Atlas of Algeria]. Geobios 26(3):291-318

58c1efd700017_LithostratigraphiccolumnoftheDjebelAzregJurassicseries.thumb.jpg.0dea3bbbba1f7b3844517027b52a48d4.jpg

" This paper contains the description and figuration of fifteen Scleractinian species belonging to fourteen genera. Two species are new. The material comes from three outcrops of the Saharian Atlasis of Algeria. Five genera and one species of Calcisponge have been identified too. This fauna belongs to Late Jurassic, however, four species collected at the top of the Hassi M'Guita series, have been found up to day, exclusively in Middle Jurassic. "

Species described include Cladocoropsis memoria-naumanni (YABE).

1927 - Stromatopora memoria-naumanni YABE, p. 90.
1935 - Stromatopora (Parastromatopora) memoria-naumanni YABE in YABE & SUGIYAMA, p. 180, pl. 47-52, 55, 58, 62 et 63.
1982 - Cladocoropsis memoria-naumanni (YABE), Beauvais, p. 41, pl. 1, fig. 3.
1989 - Cladocoropsis memoria-naumanni (YABE), Beauvais, p. 273, pl. 60, fig. 3.

Repartition stratigraphique et geographique - Espece tres repandue dans le Jurassique superieur-Berriasien de tout le bassin tethysien (Japon, Philippines, Indondsie, Grace, Italie, Algerie).
Localite - Djebel Azreg.
Materiel - Une plaque mince (AZG 036).

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Thank you Abyssunder for this  precious document. The association of corals stromatoporoids ans chetaetids is common in upper jurassic  reefs of laghouat, Algeria.Here is other photos of stromatoporoids that sometimes  seem to show corals like structures in their body. Relation between corals and stromatoporoids is fascinating!IMG_2655p.thumb.JPG.5522c14f518848ba86e28032e23516b1.JPG

IMG_2656p.JPG

IMG_2657p.JPG

IMG_2665p.JPG

IMG_2673p.JPG

IMG_2677p.JPG

IMG_2681p.JPG