Robichello

Dear All,

I am facing with a trouble concerning some ammonites found in the North of Spain, Cantabria region, close to Reinosa's village.

The ammonites found, looks like belongings to the Jurassic period (Middle-Sup).

I am not able to ID them because they looks belongings to differents periods (maybe Oxfordian or Callovian).

Here you have a few pictures to try to identify them.

I should be addressed to Perisphinctes (Dichotomoceras) and Alcidia...

Thanks in advance for your help,

Roberto

IMG_6491.JPG

IMG_6492.JPG

IMG_6493.JPG

IMG_6487.JPG

Nice Finds! :) 

The attached worm tubes are a nice association.

Maybe @Ludwigia can have a look and make some determinations.  

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I'm not all that familiar with Spanish species and taphonomy, but I'd place your finds in the Oxfordian. The small one looks like it may be a Taramelliceras and the larger one is probably a member of the Perisphinctidae. Try asking @phylloceras. He may be able to recognize these better than me since he's from Spain.

• I found this Informative 4

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

I think, first of all you have to know the geological settings, exact location of the finds, geological age/stage, Formation name, stratigraphy, etc. The Catabria region is huge, also a little N-S-E-W from Reinosa could be in a different geological age. My question is, how you established the geological age Oxfordian-Callovian for that ? :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Hello abyssunder, you are right.

the location is close to the North border of Monegro's village, on the North side of the Reinosa swamp.

according to the IGME geological map, this region is classified as Dogger.

Having a look on the ammonite records from the Oxfordian to the Aalenian, mine looks like similar to the Dogger-Malm transition...

Of course, this is my interpretation, I posted the pictures and my hypothesis to be helped in the geological age and ID determination.

4 hours ago, Robichello said:

Hello abyssunder, you are right.

the location is close to the North border of Monegro's village, on the North side of the Reinosa swamp.

according to the IGME geological map, this region is classified as Dogger.

Having a look on the ammonite records from the Oxfordian to the Aalenian, mine looks like similar to the Dogger-Malm transition...

Of course, this is my interpretation, I posted the pictures and my hypothesis to be helped in the geological age and ID determination.

That would fit with my interpretation. I was also thinking very early Oxfordian/transition from Callovian. Mariae, cordatum, lamberti zones.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/