Sunday with Friends

Shellseeker

I was out hunting the last 2 days with friends.  I enjoy the experience. Sunday was far more productive. Here is a large bone. I found 2-3 of these with similar quality. Maybe I will find an equivalent LARGE tooth to be sure, but usually I think of these as Proboscidea.. Hosenose for short. If there is any reason to think otherwise, please enlightening me on the additional possibilities. Mostly I leave large indeterminate bones in the river.  Sometimes I take them for auctions or fossil digs for kids.

I have questions on this one.. Note the large amount of muscle attachment bone modification.. Can this be used to narrow the bone ID possibilities?  Is this normal or pathological?

IMG_2358enh2.thumb.jpg.46039f64e4e0af71e175521ae05d44cc.jpgIMG_2363enh2.thumb.jpg.48a36f5a6c439b31135939c37ac6d38a.jpg

I found just little teeth in the morning, along with these larger bones but in the afternoon I came on strong.  A Capybara molar, the first in 4 years about 1/2 the size or less of the 2013 find.

A couple of Megs and a very nice Hemi!!!

Feb12th2017CapybaraMolarT.thumb.jpg.9876c60f56eba25ec3825c68ab4ba91b.jpgIMG_2371.thumb.JPG.5f91e6d96b691ea093b9ee688d5bbc81.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Ran out of space. Wonder if I can slip in a couple of smaller photos.  YES!HemiPristisLower1point55T.thumb.jpg.4c90e12cc7d45a89d85e023b5297da4d.jpg

Finally. My hunting partner found this canine which seems to serrated on the inside edge. That confused me until I found one of Harry's excellent gallery items.

IMG_2331enh.thumb.jpg.63cc467ccc0f4c53d0f438c4dc4112a5.jpggallery_42_6_2871.jpg.459d1703950f8531196fac9f5189f43d.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Sweet finds! You did real good! The capybara and camel teeth almost make me forget about shark teeth! (Notice I said "almost"):D

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Great finds Jack! Man that capybara tooth is awesome. :1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76:

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Great finds man! I found a capybara tooth in arcadia today, and a really good one a month ago ( I will post pics soon) Glad to see you had a great day! If you are in arcadia, I would love to dig together! I often dig alone!

Thanks for all the great comments. Sunday was a good day.

Lori,  I thought they looked like teeth marks on the Camel/LLama tooth but somewhat different than I had seen.  Also no equivalent marks on the other side. Along with the possible serrations, I was hoping that some of the true experts might comment.

Chris,  I agree -- Pathological and painful  -- Once again hope for confirmation..  I just have not seen similar markings on bones.

PRR,  would love to see your finds .  I have only found 2 in my 8 years hunting and 2 of my hunting friends have found zero,  These molars are fragile and break up easily,  Here is my other one from 4 years ago.  It is at least twice as large!!! I do not hunt Arcadia often but did back when I started.

Apr11th2013CapybaraMolar.thumb.jpg.17c8c7f4e82d5ebfd19be31f08ad24b1.jpg

I have GREAT memories of Arcadia:  Maybe I should schedule a trip back there.. Jack

RSCN0779.thumb.jpg.93871a2271fb7818d5062a0f1080df6d.jpg

MegMergeCrop.thumb.jpg.9ec75bbc5131c407c4072c6b89f8e238.jpg

The canine looks like it has predation marks from a mammal. Something along the lines of a mouse or similar sized mammal. These marks show that when this camel died, it sat out for a short time before it was buried and then fossilized. As it sat out, larger mammalian carnivores and scavengers had there share of it before the small scavengers came to pick at the remains. These marks show up quite often on deer antler, both fossil and recent.

• I found this Informative 3

38 minutes ago, calhounensis said:

The canine looks like it has predation marks from a mammal. Something along the lines of a mouse or similar sized mammal. These marks show that when this camel died, it sat out for a short time before it was buried and then fossilized. As it sat out, larger mammalian carnivores and scavengers had there share of it before the small scavengers came to pick at the remains. These marks show up quite often on deer antler, both fossil and recent.

That is what I was thinking too.

What is this one?

What is it.jpg

1 hour ago, Shellseeker said:

Thanks for all the great comments. Sunday was a good day.

Lori,  I thought they looked like teeth marks on the Camel/LLama tooth but somewhat different than I had seen.  Also no equivalent marks on the other side. Along with the possible serrations, I was hoping that some of the true experts might comment.

Chris,  I agree -- Pathological and painful  -- Once again hope for confirmation..  I just have not seen similar markings on bones.

PRR,  would love to see your finds .  I have only found 2 in my 8 years hunting and 2 of my hunting friends have found zero,  These molars are fragile and break up easily,  Here is my other one from 4 years ago.  It is at least twice as large!!! I do not hunt Arcadia often but did back when I started.

I have GREAT memories of Arcadia:  Maybe I should schedule a trip back there.. Jack

That would be cool, I find some good stuff, you know how it can go,hit and miss.

Always at least a few small teeth and turtle and ray pavement teeth.

Found a 3 inch or so Gar fish jaw today with about 20 teeth. Think it is kinda modern, sorry no camera access for a while. Good finds, Shellseeker!

Those are some finds that take some people years to find and you found it within 2 days?  That's amazing!

Jack,

Love the diversity of those finds. Capybara has so far eluded me and that camel canine with the rodent gnaw marks would also have been a trip-maker for me.

Cheers.

-Ken

9 hours ago, calhounensis said:

Dermal denticle of a shark or ray, I believe.

Lori, Cal is one of those "TFF experts"  that I am always referring to and depend upon....

History Hunter,

After a lot of years as a fossil hunter, here are my impressions.

1) I am retired and have lots of time to hunt (used to be 3-4 times a week, 6-7 hours each time, 8 months a year), so hundreds of hours a year. I know of a few addicted hunters who are younger, dig much faster than I do and spend hundreds of more hours. Net: I have unfair advantages -- time and persistence.

2) The key is finding gravel that has not been dug very much and as a friend says is "fossiliferous".  My best honey holes in the last 8 years produced hundreds of excellent fossils a day (Horse, tigers, Mako, GWs, Megs, etc etc). I once hunted (2013) with a young new fossil hunter who got tired of the occasional good find at the spot I selected, went searching upriver , came back 2 hours later with 62 complete Megs. He was averaging 3-5 Megs per sieve!!!!! We ended up digging that spot for months.

3) The finds this week actually came in 3 or 4 sieves all dug in less than 90 minutes. In the morning I was digging and finding the large mammal bones and small shark (tiger, lemon, dusky, etc) teeth. Around 12:30, I saw the Capybara molar laying half buried in the sieve and there was also one of the Megs in the same screen. I found more in the next hour than the rest of the 2 days combined. 

I try to be smart, use my experience and knowledge but in some sense you should compare it to lottery tickets.. Imagine that I am purchasing hundreds of tickets a year, and I only tell TFF members about the winning tickets.  :D

11 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

These molars are fragile and break up easily,  Here is my other one from 4 years ago.  It is at least twice as large!!! I do not hunt Arcadia often but did back when I started.

Yes they do, a plate broke off of mine but i super glued it and you cant tell at all, you found some huge ones. My best one is a decent size and the enamel is beautiful and fully intact.