Silurian coral ID needed

jgcox

Can you zoom in on an area that shows the corallites well?  Also are there any areas that show a longitudinal view of the corallites (so they look like tubes, not hexagons or circles)?  The large-scale view gives a great overall picture, but it's hard to see the details one needs for an ID.

Don

The two photos are showing the abraded underside of a colony. It looks like Favosites or something closely related.

Find the little flower icon on a point and shoot camera. Then get a couple of inches away for a closeup? -------------Nice one.~

Here is one from Austin, Texas.

Austin- fossil coral..jpg

I have found similar looking coral in the Silurian aged sugar run formation in northern Illinois.  I was told the coral that I found was Heliolites.  Maybe viewing some images of Heliolites coral would be of assistance.  

• I found this Informative 2

Finding my way through life; one fossil at a time.

I think Heliolites would be a good candidate, as Rob suggested. Try to compare with the samples from here or here .

58a4c8fe97db1_x_Nr.4786aSilurKoralle.jpg.f19ff7c5e4e27449680c69768b265cb2.jpg58a4c8fc01508_x_Nr.4786SilurKoralle.jpg.233124ddfd759511ba26bba289f97dc0.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

I believe your coral is Favosites louisvillensis, a nice one, I have found many of these in the Silurian of w Tennessee.

• I found this Informative 1

It's clearly a tabulate coral.  If the corallites are hexagonal it's likely a favositid such as Favosites or Paleofavosites.  If the corallites are round, with thickened walls between them, it is a heliolitid such as Heliolites or Propora.  As far as I can tell from the photo you posted the corallites may be round but they are so small it's hard to be certain.

Don

• I found this Informative 3

Heliolites does have rounded corallites but they are spaced apart. Here is a comparison of Heliolites, Favosites, and jgcox's coral.

tabulate.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Yah. This is going to have to go Favositid.

When you think of the corallium (sp?) to coenostrum (sp?) ratio there isn't much choice.

Thanks all after a first cleaning the corallites are hexagonal so I am going to go with Favosites louisvillensis.

When you get time it would be appreciated if you could post a photo, so future (and present) readers can see the evidence and learn how to distinguish favositids from heliolitids.

Don

• I found this Informative 1