Boneheadz

Wow, let me tell you, today was an interesting day. I headed out to Douglas Point for the first time today(been to Purse several times) and man did I get a hand full. When we first arrived at the beach it was pretty choppy and a little windy. We made it past the first set of cliffs and found some beach and started searching. Thats when the wind picked WAY up. We kept moving and heading down the beach fighting violent waves and making our way through deep water with big waves with only hip boots on. lets just say we got a little wet, not the best thing to do in the middle of February. After a mile of walking or so we realized we wouldn't be able to make it back the way we came and our only option was to make it all the way to Purse and walk up the trail there to the road and then back to Douglas Point where we parked. Fortunately with all the wave action we were able to still find some teeth. Found some interesting material that I believe to be Scutes? Need to look it up haha. It wasn't until we made it back to the car that my Dad showed me he found his first PaleoCarcharodon! A little small but really not too bad of shape. It was a learning experience for sure. Feel free to jump in and help me with a little ID. Also took a few macro pics, enjoy!

Boneheadz

FInds.jpg

Finds Bone.jpg

Scute fornt.JPG

scute.JPG

PCMeaure.jpg

MacroPC.JPG

MacroMakerial.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

picture 3 is turtle shell for sure.

picture 4 may be turtle as well, it has the same texture on the stuff I have seen from Florida.

The other 2 appear to be scutes, but I have no idea from what creature.

Glad you just had a long wet walk. 

Could've been much worse. :unsure:  

Nice finds - thanks for sharing the experience with us. 

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Glad you found something for your troubles.  Sometimes the hardest thing is to decide conditions are just too dangerous, and pull the plug on a collecting trip.  Getting knocked over by a wave in deep water while wearing waders is quite risky, once filled with water those waders could make it really hard to get back on your feet.  I'm sure that long walk back wasn't much fun either.  No fossil is worth dying for.  Well, except maybe that sweet little Paleocarcharodon :wub:.  I've yet to find one of those.

Don

10 hours ago, Boneheadz said:

I was thinking turtle maybe Croc

Croc would be an option as well witht hose dimples, let me dig one of mine out or check the galleries for some of pictures from Harry Pristis

picture 4 is definitely soft-shelled turtle.  Croc scutes tend to have isolated round holes, whereas the holes in soft-shelleds tend to run into each other like this one. 

That Paleocharacharodon tooth was a real nice score. Nice to know you can get all the way from Douglas Point to Purse via the beach. Next time, be safe!

4 hours ago, RCW3D said:

AWESOME!!! Great trip! Your Dad found the brass ring! Beautiful tooth!

Ya he tends to do that from time to time haha