Mammoth Collections Repair

Sandor Krizsan

Hey, I got these two jaws from hungarian gravel mines in 2016. I want to restore them, so I ask  for your help in this.

1. The Mammuthus primigenius first jaw I glued together from 8 pieces, but during drying the bones were warped (deformed) so I could not quite right push together,  is about a 5 mm gap left. What is your idea, how could you make this gap to disapear?

IMG_4631.thumb.JPG.cbc84678b91dda924b134b9ede473b4d.JPG

2. Elephas antiquus jaw. It is much more difficult because it doesn’t have all the pieces. Not all of existing pieces fit together. One tooth just put it close to its original position but there isn't anything really to glue on. Please let me know, if you have any ideas to this too.

IMG_4632.thumb.JPG.6ed247e1b759a9438d0c0b2ec9cee971.JPG

Sandor Krizsan...

Do you have any actual photographs of the repairs you are trying to make?  I looked fairly carefully at the picture that is associated with your question about M. primigenius and I can't see the 5mm gap you're referring to.  The picture that you posted with your question about E. antiquus doesn't resemble what you're describing at all.  Very nice specimens, by the way.

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

Dear Joe, I made some pictures of vulnerabilities in the jaw primigenius I want to make  dissapear. Both the inner side thin bone was broken down and its right outside too. I also want to cover its traces. The antiquus jaw in the pictures are currently in three pieces, I put in together just for the  photo. I took a photo from pieces too.

IMG_4668.JPG

IMG_4669.JPG

IMG_4670.JPG

IMG_4671.JPG

IMG_4672.JPG

IMG_4673.JPG

With differing textures and colors id say you have a real challenge on your hands.  Have these bones been stabilized, or something?  There seems to be a glossy substance on them.   I don't have too much experience with bone repair but maybe get ahold of Kris here on the forum.  he might have some good ideas.  Good luck

RB

Crack fill and sculpting with epoxy putty, then painting, is your best bet. They are beautiful teeth. Have you considered keeping one or more removable from the jaw?

Edited by steelhead9
More info

Thanks for the answers, but do you have any idea, how can I scult the pattern of the bone? Not he colour. Each bone has different pattern/groowe. If I only fill with epoxy and paint, it will be noticable, where is filled with putty.