Spinster

20170128_112315.thumb.jpg.f78a612619b65d03bcfc694b68a8cb78.jpgI found this Megalonyx Giant ground sloth jawbone on christmas day, December 25, 2016.  Found on a sandbar in the Niahnabotna River, just south of Avoca, Iowa.

20170128_112636.jpg

received_10206512044280446.jpeg

20170216_123337.jpg

20170216_123750.jpg

Welcome to the Forum. :) 

Nice specimen. 

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Welcome to the forum! THat jaw is COOL!

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

Fantastic find !!! I can imagine the feeling of discovery. :yay-smiley-1:I have a broken Paramylodon Jaw (below) from the Peace River Florida found a year ago. I am amazed at the pristine condition. There are rocks in most rivers and water erosion over thousands of years will remove layers of fossil. In finds from this area, how often do you see fossils of this quality?

If Megalonyx, do you think this is Jefferson's Ground Sloth or are there other Megalonyx possibilities in your area?

Thanks for sharing.  SS

IMG_0285Sloth.thumb.JPG.7e506bb91e51ecd9034c1a6447938110.JPG

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Pretty sweet sloth jaw--and from an area I've not heard cool stuff like that coming from before. Iowa has just snuck onto my fossil radar with that find.

Welcome to the forum. Looking forward to whatever else you can find in your area.

Cheers.

-Ken

Welcome to :tff:!!!

That jawbone is really amazing! :wub::envy:

Best regards,

Max

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Quite a spectacular find.  And to think I'm happy with a lowly deer jaw in that condition.  Well done.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Harry,

I am reading Bullitan 44 New Mexico MNH 2008, indicating that Nothrothiriops are exceeding rare in North America (excepting Shasta ground sloth) and I see no references for a find in Iowa. just Florida, Texas, Mexico

Just how rare are these? Am I just looking at the wrong book?

3 hours ago, Harry Pristis said:

Compare to:

sloth jaw NothrotheriopsB.JPG

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

So, Spinster -- Just consider.  I agree with Harry that your find strongly resembles a Nothrotheriops, which has not been recorded as found in Iowa previously AND it is about as pristine as one can get.

You might have a very uncommon fossil for your neck of the woods.  WoW..

• 3 weeks later...

Don't know how I missed this as it's one of my faves too but congrats on a great find:fistbump:

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Archived