Max-fossils

Hey everyone,

Though they may not be very impressive specimens for most of you (especially the sharkteeth collectors), I am still extremely happy with my 2 new additions to my collection:

I got my most complete Notorhynchus tooth till now, one with all the cusps present and a majority of the root; and also my very first MEGALODON TOOTH!!! :D Yes, I didn't have a single megalodon tooth in my collection till now, though I have been collecting for over 7 years. And even though they are both rather small teeth, the megalodon being a posterior tooth too, I am still extremely glad with them. In fact, there is a Dutch proverb that fits this situation perfectly: "klein maar fijn" (small but nice).

Both teeth come from the Calvert Cliffs (Miocene). I got them in a trade with the amazing Dave @Darktooth, with whom I have had a great chat thanks to this forum! Therefore: thank you Dave!!!

Best regards,

Max

IMG_8322.JPG

IMG_8323.JPG

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

1 minute ago, belemniten said:

Very nice !

Congrats :wub:

Indeed! Thanks!

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

Well done, Max. 

Very nice. 

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Just now, Vieira said:

Nice additions to your collection Max.

I love the little Meg :dinothumb:

Thanks! I know, I also love it!

1 minute ago, Fossildude19 said:

Well done, Max. 

Very nice. 

Regards,

Thank you!

Max Derème

3 minutes ago, sseth said:

Beautiful Teeth

Thanks!

Max Derème

Max , you are very welcome! I am glad to do a trade with someone who appreciates them as much as you do. Glad you like them. I will let you know when I recieve yours.By the way Max, your seem like a very intelligent teenager, way beyond your years. Keep it up and you will go far in life.

Dave

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

14 hours ago, Darktooth said:

Max , you are very welcome! I am glad to do a trade with someone who appreciates them as much as you do. Glad you like them. I will let you know when I recieve yours.By the way Max, your seem like a very intelligent teenager, way beyond your years. Keep it up and you will go far in life.

Dave

I was also very glad to make the trade with you!

And thanks for the encouragement. :)

Best regards,

Max

Max Derème

10 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

I just love the trade culture here in the forum. Keep up the good work you guys, and congrats to you Max.

I also love it! This was only my third trade, but I was way more than satisfied with all of them! 

8 hours ago, Explorer2099 said:

Wow what a beautiful pair! Congrats! :meg:

Thanks! :D

7 hours ago, ynot said:

Nice pieces to add to Your collection.

Congratulations.

Tony

Thank you!

Max Derème

1 hour ago, Ropterus said:

Very nice! Congrats!

Thank you!

Max Derème

On 2/17/2017 at 9:02 AM, Max-fossils said:

Hey everyone,

Though they may not be very impressive specimens for most of you (especially the sharkteeth collectors), I am still extremely happy with my 2 new additions to my collection:

I think anyone who has been lucky to collect their own shark teeth does appreciate those teeth.  Both of you have collected long enough understand the difficulty of finding teeth that are mostly complete where you collect so you appreciate what you have received.  

I have collected a couple of sites in the Scotts Valley, California area where the teeth are usually very water-worn.  I have a small megalodon that looks more like a guitar pick.  I got it in a trade at least 20 years ago and I keep it because I never found a megalodon there but that one is an example of an average specimen from there.  I traded for another Scotts Valley meg, small posterior (similar to yours in shape) but mine barely shows any serration.  I still have that tooth too.

1 hour ago, siteseer said:

I think anyone who has been lucky to collect their own shark teeth does appreciate those teeth.  Both of you have collected long enough understand the difficulty of finding teeth that are mostly complete where you collect so you appreciate what you have received.  

I have collected a couple of sites in the Scotts Valley, California area where the teeth are usually very water-worn.  I have a small megalodon that looks more like a guitar pick.  I got it in a trade at least 20 years ago and I keep it because I never found a megalodon there but that one is an example of an average specimen from there.  I traded for another Scotts Valley meg, small posterior (similar to yours in shape) but mine barely shows any serration.  I still have that tooth too.

Yup, I agree! I only found 4 sharkteeth in my entire life, and 3 of them are extremely worn, missing the roots and barely recognizable. The only good tooth I found is a complete Squatina sp., and it's one of my favorite teeth, next to my new acquisitions from Dave! I still love the other worn teeth too, more than the teeth I bought. I'm actually gonna sharktooth hunt this weekend, and I hope I'll come back with more finds!

Max Derème

• 3 weeks later...

Both are some great specimens, congrats:)nice colors and condition and as a fair bit of collectors agree condition is the most desirable trait:D

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

5 hours ago, jcbshark said:

Both are some great specimens, congrats:)nice colors and condition and as a fair bit of collectors agree condition is the most desirable trait:D

Exactly! Thanks ^_^

Max Derème

Archived