ptychodus

Here are 3 fossils I would like help in IDing. The first is a fragment, but I thought the unique edge might help identify it. Is it some kind of jaw? The second is a calcaneum which appears somewhat bigger and robust than that of a deer....llama? The third, I think, is a fragment of a scapula. Any idea as to species?

IMG_6916.jpg

IMG_6919.jpg

IMG_6922.jpg

IMG_6925.jpg

IMG_6926.jpg

IMG_6927.jpg

IMG_6928.jpg

IMG_6929.jpg

@fossiling they are black because the bones are phosphatized. OK @ptychodus question: what part of the state is this? If this is Horry County or near Myrtle Beach there might be a surprising answer for #1.

So, the latest Cretaceous Pee Dee Formation underlies the Neogene rocks in the Myrtle Beach area- so, your fossil in the first picture with those ridges is likely a hadrosaur (!) maxilla or possibly dentary. We've got a less impressive piece in our museum.

• I found this Informative 4

• 2 weeks later...

The first one looks like a bivalve fragment, see here .

IMG_6916.jpg.0799a7bb6e04149a648cad61013e8896.jpg.7bd9f05cfb11af8ae85a4b0764fbbc85.jpggrooves.JPG.a59832adf7344761eaeaa85dcf7a3408.JPG

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

I'm leaning towards partial Hadrosaur as well. Even though the bivalve pic looks very similar. 

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Ehh, there's never been a taxodont bivalve that large. That scale bar has to be off by an order of magnitude. Similarly, there are no bivalves with a taxodont "dentition" that are that large in the South Carolina fossil record, or even modern; our largest clam, Mercenaria, is still smaller than that and isn't even taxodont. The other photos appear to clearly show bone texture, and hadrosaur specimens are already known from the area; CCNHM has a partial hadrosaur maxilla from the Pee Dee a bit further inland. I also showed this to my colleague and CCNHM director Phillip Manning (an actual dinosaur paleontologist, unlike myself) and he concurred that this is a hadrosaur maxilla.

• I found this Informative 5

The specimens in question were found in a river or on a beach?

Btw, the scalebar in the bivalve picture is ok. That is probably an Isognomon(tree oyster) fragment. For example Isognomon maxillata is large. Also, Isognomon is present in NC and SC.

58b5ae4903620_Isognomonmaxillata.thumb.jpeg.06b2241df67651b6ff5f2bc886901e6e.jpeg

Isognomon maxillata - Calvert Marine Museum

58b5ae3d63a1e_I.rollei.jpg.6ca6e08b119030895579f337186f04d5.jpg

Isognomon rollei - Miocene, Austria - 65mm

• I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

I stand corrected on the scale bar - however, I've never seen one of those in a private collection or on the beach, and it doesn't address the fact that the specimen photographed above is made out of bone rather than laminated calcium carbonate.