Peace river scutes

Jdeutsch

Was on the Peace River Florida- am sorting the findings

had several flat pieces I think are mostly turtle scutes-but I'm not sure about a couple, and wouldn't mind more specific information on any

image 1 shows the top of 8 scutes/flat pieces except it shows the underside of specimen 3.  Image two is the reverse of specimen 3

I can make higher resolution or other views as needed.

turtle.jpg

turtle 2.jpg

I think allot of those are soft shell turtle bits. 

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I can confirm

#1, 3, 5, 7, and 8 are all turtle for sure.

#1 and 8 do appear to be soft shell pieces.

The rest I am unsure of the species.

I'll pile on though you've already got correct answers above. The odd man out is the very distinctive #6 which is indeed Holmesina. The orange peel texture and the slight raised keel down the middle of the osteoderm make this an easy and definite ID once you've seen a bunch of them. Also, as noted above #1 & #8 have the wavy rippled surface indicative of the soft-shell turtle (Apalone sp. [likely A. ferox]). The other assorted turtle bits may be pond slider turtles (Trachemys) but I haven't seen enough pieces to be able to distinguish those from musk turtles or other genera likely found in the Peace River. You can tell that #2 & #4 are from the edge of the shell with their pointy edges. The symmetrical shape and the bony keel running down the center of #3 & #5 show these to be neural osteoderms that run down the centerline of the turtle where the vertebral column joins the carapace.

Turtle is a pretty common find in the Peace and I usually collect nicer looking pieces but only keep a few specimens that show interesting shapes or are from interesting positions like the nuchal (proneural) or the pygal or subrapygal (the pieces directly behind the head or at the tail end of the shell along the midline. I also like pieces of the soft-shell that show the pointed rib ends extending from the edge of the plate.

Congrats on the Holmesina as they are much less common than turtle bits in the Peace.

Cheers.

-Ken

Archived