References for Moroccan shark teeth ID

Doctor Mud

I recently acquired some bulk samples of shark teeth from Morocco. Quite a lot of them appear to be Sand Tigers or Sand sharks (Odontaspididae).

I'm working on collecting references to ID these teeth before assembling tooth sets.

Since teeth from Morocco are so common, I thought this would be a useful resource for others. I'm just starting out and this reference is a good place to start:

ARAMBOURG, C. (1952)
Les vertébrés fossiles des gisements de phosphates (Maroc-Algérie-Tunisie). Notes et Mémoires du Service Géologique du Maroc, 92: 1–372, 62 fig., 44 pl

Although it is in French and I believe a lot of the taxonomy has probably progressed from this time.

Is there already a post on this topic? If not I would sure appreciate contributions of references for shark teeth for this locality. There may also be references from other localities that are relevant as they deal with species found in the Moroccan deposits.

After some time we could organise references into something that makes sense taxonomically and if there is a demand for it maybe pin it.

Thanks everyone!

14 minutes ago, Doctor Mud said:

ARAMBOURG, C. (1952)

Les vertébrés fossiles des gisements de phosphates (Maroc-Algérie-Tunisie). Notes et Mémoires du Service Géologique du Maroc, 92: 1–372, 62 fig., 44 pl

That was the first entry in my pdf library. :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/18/2017 at 1:56 PM, Doctor Mud said:

I recently acquired some bulk samples of shark teeth from Morocco. Quite a lot of them appear to be Sand Tigers or Sand sharks (Odontaspididae).

I'm working on collecting references to ID these teeth before assembling tooth sets.

Since teeth from Morocco are so common, I thought this would be a useful resource for others. I'm just starting out and this reference is a good place to start:

ARAMBOURG, C. (1952)

Although it is in French and I believe a lot of the taxonomy has probably progressed from this time.

Is there already a post on this topic? If not I would sure appreciate contributions of references for shark teeth for this locality. There may also be references from other localities that are relevant as they deal with species found in the Moroccan deposits.

After some time we could organise references into something that makes sense taxonomically and if there is a demand for it maybe pin it.

Thanks everyone!

Doctor,

Yes, that Arambourg monograph is THE starting point for any study of vertebrates from the Moroccan phosphates.

You can check out this pinned thread for a rambling discussion of Moroccan teeth:

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/472-finally/

You should also look for this one:

Noubhani, A. and H. Cappetta. 1997.

Les Orectolobiformes, Carcharhiniformes et Myliobatiformes (Elasmobranchii, Neoselachii) des Bassins a phosphate du Maroc (Maastrichtien-Lutetien basal): Systematique, biostratigraphie, evolution et dynamique des faunes. Palaeo Ichthyologica 8.

It's harder to find and also in French but well worth having.  I talk about in that "Finally" thread linked above.

Jess.