Rio

Lets talk about amber!  I would love to pick the brains of experienced collectors.  I have done a lot of internet searches and read topics here on this forum, but I would love to know more.  Right now I only have one piece (might be copal), that was a gift from someone who went to the big rock show in Arizona.  I would love to go to that show myself someday!  I have always been fascinated by the little worlds that are in the depths of amber.  I would like to buy some more amber for my new collection but I feel the topic is so complicated.  The prices range so much for what to the naked eye appears a very similar piece.

Best advice on buying amber online?  Is it, in your opinion, worth buying rough amber and polishing it yourself?  It seems like an interesting treasure hunt!  Any thoughts on this inexpensive amber coming out of Indonesia?  Any good?  Would you ever buy amber where the location it came from is unknown or unrevealed?  Does anyone buy in bulk, sight unseen?

Advice on storing and safely displaying?  Anyone ever coat their amber with anything (wax, polish, etc) to help protect it from changes in temperature and humidity or damage from light?

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated!  If anyone has photos of their favorite specimens, or specimens you discovered yourself from a rough piece of amber, I would love to see them.

I am planning to get some amber with bugs eventually also, and would like to hear the answers to these questions also.

I was planning on displaying mine in a membrane display box; I have seen these and they look good with amber, though I don't know how durable they are.

s-l1600.jpg

Archived