Raptor Nest

Explorer2099

Just thought I'd share something cool. There's a little rock shop in my city that I like to visit every once in a while. Although most of the fossils they sell are nice little ammonites, orthoceras, shark teeth, etc., they've recently acquired some specimens that blew me away: a couple of solitary raptor eggs, a raptor nest, and a hadrosaur nest! I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw them. I asked one of owners of the shop where the fossils were from and I was told the raptor nest was from Madagascar and the solitary eggs were from South America. I didn't ask about the hadrosaur nest. Questions regarding their authenticity and legal nature immediately flooded my mind as I'm not familiar with the laws of those countries regarding fossils. They also look to me to be incomplete but I'm not sure. Personally, I believe the nests (assuming they're real), should be in a museum or institute where paleontologists have access to study and learn from them, but who could resist the thought of being able to say you own a freakin raptor nest!? Maybe put it on display in your mancave with a plaque that reads: "Dont touch my huevos!" :rofl:

Anyway, let me know your thoughts. Have you ever been in the presence of a fossil that truly astonished you for whatever reason? e.g. your favorite dino, a significant discovery, etc. I'd love to hear your responses. tumblr_njdgqjznQM1sg3vmpo8_r1_250.gif

IMG_0465.JPG

IMG_0472.JPG

19 minutes ago, steelhead9 said:

Well, they're real, but the dealer was savvy enough to not tell you they were from China, which they are.

Really? How can u tell?

Wow so I guess any well-informed person wouldn't even think about buying those without some serious documentation. 

These eggs are typical Elongatoolithus (Oviraptorid) and Dendroolithus (Hadrosaurid) eggs from China, most likely Henan Province.

Distinguishing features are their shapes, sizes and the red matrix which many of such eggs come with.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

The eggs were illegally taken out of China. There is, to my knowledge, no US law that prevents buying, selling, or possessing these specimens here assuming customs declarations were proper. The ethical issue is up to you. They do need some serious preparation.

3 hours ago, steelhead9 said:

The eggs were illegally taken out of China.

This would depend on when and how they were taken out of China.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

There are so few vertebrate fossils, including eggs, that were truly legally removed from China that the odds of these being among them are miniscule. That and and the deceptive statement of origin by the shop owner make the provenance pretty apparent. Please don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of China or their policies.

Even if the US allows it, that still wouldn't protect anyone if China seeks to retrieve them right? Look what happened to Nick Cage. Granted, he purchased something of more significance but after doing some research it seems to me like China is pretty stingy regarding any fossils or artifacts discovered on their land.

Archived