Bought a nice collection today

Fossil Claw

Good score!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

:popcorn: John

I had a friend once, but the wheels fell off. Sad, very sad. - Nightwing

1 hour ago, Wrangellian said:

Closeups of the rest? (something for us Invert guys too?) Looks like you have lots of variety.

Plants, trilos, crinoids, ammonites, orthoceras.

IMG_20170219_200545-3036x2277.jpg

Some nice stuff in there. Do you have information for all of it? Where is that little cone from and how old?

The light-grey, gritty crab concretion look like one of ours, from Shelter Point, Vanc. Isl. but I could be wrong..

7 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

Some nice stuff in there. Do you have information for all of it? Where is that little cone from and how old?

The light-grey, gritty crab concretion look like one of ours, from Shelter Point, Vanc. Isl. but I could be wrong..

Good eye there Wrangellian it is from your neck of the woods.   Longusorbis cunniculosis.  Vancouver Island. Can't seem to find much on it.  All I could find was a reference to a 1975 paper.  Is it rare?

As far as the pine cone goes, he lost the paper work so I plan to put it in the ID section.

The Longusorbis is from Shelter Point just south of Campbell River. Oyster Bay Formation (Upper Campanian). They only occur at that one spot, from what I understand.

Some people frown on buying/selling fossils but it's a thrill to acquire a collection like this.. I did it once when I bought all but the top-shelf stuff this old couple from Nanaimo had, and I think I got a deal at $90, though it was a pain to get all the unlabeled stuff sorted out - that was my main purpose in joining TFF in the first place. Which puts it in mind to repost some of the stuff I didn't get ID'd then, in case there are fresh eyes now that can help...

Archived