Devonian branching rugose coral (or sponge)?

Bob Clouser

Hi all. This is my first post to the ID forum. I'm stumped on this one. It was found near Kingston, NY. Comes from Middle Devonian Hamilton Group (probably Marcellus Fm). Matrix is a brownish-gray shale. It's a mold of something with small branching (or budding) tubes, dense transverse rings, terminating in cone-shaped depressions. My first guess is some form of branching rugose (horn) coral, where each terminal cone is a corallite. But I wonder if it might also be a sponge -- though sponges usually don't preserve like this, right?

In the pictures below, the scale bar has divisions of 1 cm, and in the last photo there is a penny in the background for scale.

Thanks for any ideas...

Bob

IMG_1145.JPG.6956f70dec37549ab315a6d617dae14b.JPGIMG_1170.JPG.ac67b8a7450e2c3280f8c7286bff32fa.JPGIMG_1170.JPG.ac67b8a7450e2c3280f8c7286bff32fa.JPGIMG_1183b.thumb.jpg.b9516cb989b83d505f05675fe84bf223.jpg

IMG_1167.JPG

Hi from France, nice coral.:)

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Thanks for the input everyone. I agree about it maybe being a tabulate coral. I looked into some of my books and it does resemble Aulocystis (age is right too). But also Heliophyllum and Eridophyllum. I recently got "The Fossil Book" by Fenton and Fenton from Amazon -- I used to dream about having this book when I saw it in libraries.

I like it... Reminds me of a ginger root.

Impression fossils can be just as nice as body fossils. You don't normally see Paleozoic corals preserved (or not preserved) that way, right?

3 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

Impression fossils can be just as nice as body fossils. You don't normally see Paleozoic corals preserved (or not preserved) that way, right?

It's about all I usually find around here. Sometimes they are even preferable.

Perhaps.. I guess that branching structure would not have held together so nicely if it had been the body fossil without matrix!

I think Aulocystis could be a pretty good match. Take a look here .

• I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

14 hours ago, abyssunder said:

I think Aulocystis could be a pretty good match. Take a look here .

I agree, larger diameter than the Aulopora I've seen.

Tarquin

Aulocystis is a recent dictyonid poriferan.

Aulacystis,on the other hand

edit: slightly stumped!

OK:Cladochonus?

1 hour ago, doushantuo said:

Aulocystis is a recent dictyonid poriferan.

Aulacystis,on the other hand

edit: slightly stumped!

OK:Cladochonus?

Aulocystis (Schlutter, 1885), family Aulocystidae, is an auloporid tabulate in the Treatise and a quick Google brings up a load of anthozoan references as well as the poriferan ones. Has it been reassigned recently? If so, I wonder what the coral is called now?

Cladochonus certainly has a similar form but the ones I've seen (Carboniferous) are quite a lot smaller although that may not matter. 

Without internal details it's difficult to be sure.

• I found this Informative 2

Tarquin

Maybe this document helps a little : *Dynamic Stratigraphy and Depositional Environments of the Hamilton Group (Middle Devonian) in New York State, Part I, New York State Museum Bulletin (457)

New York State Library

(Click here to login as a Guest\Search for *\Click  Document 457-........\Open/Print Document\ wait to load then Download.) :)

" Unlike most hexactinellid genera, Schulze's Aulocystis remained stable for 75 years, with one shift in family allocation, from Maeandrospongidae to Aulocystidae by Schulze (1904). Eventually it was recognized to be preoccupied by Aulocystis Schlutter, 1885 (fossil Anthozoa), and Zhuravleva, 1962 (in Rezvoy et al., 1962) replaced it with Neoaulocystis. Reid's proposed transfers of the genus to junior synonims of Cyclostigma Schrammen (Reid, 1967b) and Callcyclix Schrammen (Reid, 1968a) are rejected since membership in those fossil genera cannot be verified by loose spiculation. The genus presently contains three species, N. grayi (Bowerbank, 1869c), N. polae (Ijima, 1927) (as proposed by Van Soest & Stentoft, 1988:8, and accepted here), and N. zitteli (Marshall & Meyer, 1877), the latter consisting of two subspecies, N. zitteli zitteli  (Marshall & Meyer, 1877) and N. zitteli sibogae  (Ijima, 1927). Distribution of the genus is entirely tropical to subtropical, restricted to western margins of Atlantic, Indian and Pacific Ocean margins, with vertical range of 82-1383m. " - page 1381 in Systema Porifera: A Guide to the Classification of Sponges, Edited by John N.A. Hooper and Rob W.M. Van Soest © Kluwer Academic/Plenum Publishers, New York, 2002

Aulocystis Schlüter, 1885

Aulocystis Schulze, 1886

Edited by abyssunder
  • I found this Informative 3

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

10 hours ago, abyssunder said:

Maybe this document helps a little : *Dynamic Stratigraphy and Depositional Environments of the Hamilton Group (Middle Devonian) in New York State, Part I, New York State Museum Bulletin (457)

New York State Library

(Click here to login as a Guest\Search for *\Click  Document 457-........\Open/Print Document\ wait to load then Download.) :)

" Unlike most hexactinellid genera, Schulze's Aulocystis remained stable for 75 years, with one shift in family allocation, from Maeandrospongidae to Aulocystidae by Schulze (1904). Eventually it was recognized to be preoccupied by Aulocystis Schlutter, 1885 (fossil Anthozoa), and Zhuravleva, 1962 (in Rezvoy et al., 1962) replaced it with Neoaulocystis. Reid's proposed transfers of the genus to junior synonims of Cyclostigma Schrammen (Reid, 1967b) and Callcyclix Schrammen (Reid, 1968a) are rejected since membership in those fossil genera cannot be verified by loose spiculation. The genus presently contains three species, N. grayi (Bowerbank, 1869c), N. polae (Ijima, 1927) (as proposed by Van Soest & Stentoft, 1988:8, and accepted here), and N. zitteli (Marshall & Meyer, 1877), the latter consisting of two subspecies, N. zitteli zitteli  (Marshall & Meyer, 1877) and N. zitteli sibogae  (Ijima, 1927). Distribution of the genus is entirely tropical to subtropical, restricted to western margins of Atlantic, Indian and Pacific Ocean margins, with vertical range of 82-1383m. " - page 1381 in Systema Porifera: A Guide to the Classification of Sponges, Edited by John N.A. Hooper and Rob W.M. Van Soest © Kluwer Academic/Plenum Publishers, New York, 2002

Aulocystis Schlüter, 1885

Aulocystis Schulze, 1886

Good work, abyssunder, thanks for the clarification. :) 

Tarquin

• 1 month later...