Tooth- Monmouth Co NJ Cretaceous

Smoosh

Hey guys,

We found this tooth today sifting in the brook at Monmouth Co.  It's pretty beat up, but we're hoping to get an ID on it!  Thanks!

IMG_0353.JPG

IMG_0359.JPG

IMG_0360.JPG

Thanks for the reply. When I first spotted this I thought it was wood, but it is hard and seems to have some remnants of enamel on it (circled in the pics). However, it may not be a tooth or too beat to be an example of anything.

tooth2 v2.jpg

tooth1 v2.jpg

I am by no means an expert (I study fossil poop) and am not familiar with the fossilization process where this was found.  From what I can see in the photos, that looks more like areas where the bone is a bit polished. Another thing it could be is a piece of a claw. However, I am definitely not the person to make a call on this one. I would just wait. There are a lot of people here on the forum more familiar with this type of fossil than I am.

Very odd preservation, but I do believe it is a Xiphactinus tooth.   The size and shape are correct, but the most convincing picture is that of the oval base of the tooth.   The structure of the "tooth" material seen in the base view also seems correct for Xiphactinus and unlike what would be expected to see if it were bone or wood.  I also see probable tiny remnants of enameloid, but the pictures aren't quite adequate to be completely sure about that feature.  

• I found this Informative 1

---Wie Wasser schleift den Stein, wir steigen und fallen---