Partial Rhino Jaw prep

IonRocks

I got this broken up jaw recently and finished putting it together (and some cleaning) today. I still have a little matrix to remove, but it's already good looking

Its from the White River Formation in Wyoming. I'm not 100% certain on ID but I'd pretty sure it can be called Subhyracodon sp. 

IMG_5927.JPG

IMG_5928.JPG

IMG_5929.JPG

I think Subhyracodon is a good educated guess.  I am not sure the exact sizes, but despite the name, Subhyracodon is bigger than Hyracodon, but they are both found in the White River Fm.   

• I found this Informative 1

Nicely done! Nothing more fun than a puzzle :D

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

I do intend to clean up the teeth (well what's left of them, super weathered, both in that they were well used and weathered away) I hope to have my abrasive rig working better and then I will be using it. If not I may just clean them up with dental picks.

@RJB

Hey IonRocks.   A dental pick will work wonderfully.  May take bit more time but im perty sure you will have fun seeing just how well they to clean up.  Good luck

RB

Yeah so far so good. The large chunk of rock on the side of the frontmost tooth is posing a challenge though, it should very well attached to the bone and tooth. I'll have to try and wet it (very carefully) without getting the tooth too wet (it's been stabilized to the best of my ability but i will still worry about it) 

IMG_5930.JPG

• 3 years later...

A minor update after this got some more work.

This will probably be it’s final state. 

114554AD-56C0-41B7-A2A2-D94EC10AC8B6.jpeg

Good to see you back on the Forum again Parker.

How is the carnivorous plant thing going?

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

IonRocks.  Here are some photos of my Subhyracodon partial jaw with some teeth.  Hopefully the photos will help assist you in your specimen identification.

subhyracodon1.jpg

subhyracodon3.jpg

The teeth are unfortunately very very worn.

@caldiggerthe plant collection has slowed down lately, partially due to winter, and partially due to running out of species that are easy to find. 

4D05C9F7-F739-46D2-8CC4-ECD11FCCA104.jpeg

First off, nice specimen.  All my love is for the White River.  Nice job on the prep.

I hate disagreeing with @jpc   But in this case, I think this is a Hyracodon.  I realize it looks large, but from the wear you can tell its an old individual.  It would be from a full adult specimen.  The Subhyracodon material I have within reach is much larger and far more robust, the heft and mass of a Sub jaw is really impressive when you can hold both examples at once.  (I am socially distant from my Sub skulls)

Also, I know the incisors aren't preserved on this piece but the incisors are very characteristic for these two genera.  Subhyracodon has some large shoveling tusks for incisors and Hyracodon has little nipping incisors like a horse.

The pictures with 3 jaws are Hyracodon in the center and two Subhyracodon on either side.  I also included a Hyracodon with incisors separately as well.

DSC00432.JPG

DSC00429.JPG

DSC00430.JPG

I hate when PaleoParker disagrees with me, cuz that means I am wrong.  He has done his homework.  i was just guessing.  

You know I'm a huge fan of yours JP.  When i have questions about the White River, you are near the top in my rolodex of people to ask.  I just like to disagree with evidence.  :)

I'm still really thinking hard about how/when to write a layman's guide to White River identification.  I think it's really needed in the community.  So many project ideas, so little time.

On second thought, I get my hands on way too much cool material as a result of ignorance, maybe I shouldn't write anything down :P  

On 3/31/2020 at 9:49 AM, ParkerPaleo said:

You know I'm a huge fan of yours JP.  When i have questions about the White River, you are near the top in my rolodex of people to ask.  I just like to disagree with evidence.  :)

I'm still really thinking hard about how/when to write a layman's guide to White River identification.  I think it's really needed in the community.  So many project ideas, so little time.

On second thought, I get my hands on way too much cool material as a result of ignorance, maybe I shouldn't write anything down :P  

Oh, I am flattered.   Disagree with evidence...i.e.... odne your homework.  

And Lance Fm parts guidebook, too.