OctoDude

Hello,

I found an isolated, fragmented bone (I think plesiosaur is likely) which I would like to repair; I've not repaired bones before, so I wanted to ask to find out the best way(s) to tackle it, so I don't make mistakes I later regret.  The bone was wet in the matrix (a calcareous shale), and I have kept it damp with wet paper towels in a zip-lock bag, to try to keep it as close as I can to the condition in which I found it, until I map out a course of action.  I know there are a lot of variables, but I hope more experienced minds can offer some suggestions as to how best to proceed...

The bone was recovered in about 8-10 pieces in the matrix.  Is it likely that the bone will fracture more as it dries?  Should I let it dry very slowly, or is the rate of drying unimportant?  My finances are pretty limited right now, so is using a simple glue like elmers (which I believe is water soluble and therefore readily reversible) okay, or should I wait until I have excess money again and spring for paleobond?

Any input is welcome; thank you very much in advance!

Clean while wet.  Drying conditions are a call for you to make.  I favor quick and thorough air-drying, but there are other opinions, I'm sure.  Consolidate first, then glue.

• I found this Informative 1

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Cretaceous bone from north Texas (I'm assuming your discovery location based on ID and your profile location) is usually pretty stable and doesn't typically fall apart when it dries. I would suggest cleaning as well as possible while wet as the shales here can harden significantly when dry. Once it is cleaned to your satisfaction, allow to air dry for several days. Unless the bone is crumbling (I don't suspect this) there's no need to consolidate per se. You can then use super glue to put it back together.

• I found this Informative 1