OK, just Humor me, please - Tiny black tubular things on a rock

AshHendrick

I found this guy over the weekend, I just want to make sure it's not something cool... but I know there is a high chance of it just being a rock with little rocks stuck in it. I am curious  if these little black tubes could be some sort of organism? 

I found these digging at GMR in Greenville NC  and cannot say that this was pulled from any particular group/formation because I found it among a large amount of whale bone, shark teeth, enchodus tooth, shells and my buddy Rick also found some native american corded pottery in the spot too. So we are talking a range of time here that doesn't help narrow anything down. It was hard to photograph, I can get some better images with a digital microscope tonight if that would help/let me know where to focus at/on. They are on the top and bottom and sides (where it wasn't broken off) of this piece. 

IMG_3102.JPG.284be0aee7b4e3215a58be761c889799.JPGIMG_3105.JPG.39093bb18974098986acf32bb9be573e.JPG

I'm going to say part of an infilled crustacean burrow lined with fecal pellets (coprolites). The scientific name (ichnotaxa) is Ophiomorpha.

EDIT: Although, the pellet spacing doesn't seem quite typical. This could also be a steinkern, in which case the fecal pellets could be from invertebrates that fed on something like a crab or mollusk.

• I found this Informative 6

I could see the similarity with the modern ghost shrimp fecal pellets, also, the matrix looks like sandstone. Take a look here .

Ghost-Shrimp-Fecal-Pellets.jpg.7ad2f72c2f90a34672455c4126ef1c73.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

I don't think this is Ophiomorpha because the walls of their burrows are made of tightly-packed, spherical sediment pellets and are cylindrical in shape. This is a loosely-packed bunch of rod-shaped pellets in a ground mass of different make up and the mass is not cylindrical. But I totally agree that these are fecal pellets, likely from a callianassid shrimp. One of my favorite things to find in the marine Cretaceous! Nice find!

• I found this Informative 5

@doushantuo I just looked up Favreina and again learned how much I don't know! I had no idea that the cross sections of crustacean coprolites could be so diverse. Time to go section some of my microcoproites. LOVE THIS FORUM!

Found this interesting site HERE.

• I found this Informative 2

now I'm REALLY happy I kept this piece! I'm beyond excited about this! :) How many people can say they have a collection of shrimp poop? haha! (I found these updates over lunch at work and have brought concern to my coworkers due to the excitement I expressed on such a find - some people just don't get it! HAHA)

• I found this Informative 1

16 minutes ago, AshHendrick said:

...How many people can say they have a collection of shrimp poop? haha! 

Um,... you, GeschWhat, and Carl ... :P 

• I found this Informative 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

44 minutes ago, AshHendrick said:

now I'm REALLY happy I kept this piece! I'm beyond excited about this! :) How many people can say they have a collection of shrimp poop? haha! (I found these updates over lunch at work and have brought concern to my coworkers due to the excitement I expressed on such a find - some people just don't get it! HAHA)

Poop is the best!