Petrified Mushroom/ fungus

Kennymaan

Hello everyone,

How rare are petrified fungus and mushrooms? A buddy of mine has what I believe to be a petrified fungus/ mushrooms total of 4. He broke them off of a mine shaft ceiling. I will post pictures later this week. Thanks 

We will be interested to see the photos.  Actual fossil mushrooms are so rare as to be non-existent, but "mushroom" fossils sometimes turn out to be something quite interesting.

Don

When the photos are taken, please have them taken in bright daylight. 

Try to make sure we have top, bottom, side views. 

Have a ruler or measuring tape in the photo for size reference. 

Looking forward to seeing these pictures. 

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I'm also looking forward to the photos, but I think it should be fair to warn you that, as Don has already said, petrified mushrooms are extremely rare, so please don't be disappointed if it turns out to be something else.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

I have seen some really nice fossil mushroms from Spain, but that is the only place I have ever heard of them comming from.

Looking forward to seeing Yours!

Tony

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

It's definitely a fungus or a mushroom. He has pictures of himself and 2 others inside a mine shaft. He took pictures of them still  attached to the ceiling. One of California's last underground mines. I don't want to say the location. He says there's hundreds still on site. :D

It's not very likely that if they were "still attached to the ceiling" of a mine, that they will be fossils of anything, let alone mushrooms, but I'll look forward to the pics too.

It's extremely likely do to the water shelf where the fungus was located. And the type of mineral that is being mined right now. It has preservative properties. I'll post the pictures tmrw Evening to back up my claim. I will also post underground pictures of the mineshaft caverns. 

The mineral that's being mined around the fungus my buddy discovered. 

3 minutes ago, Kane said:

What sort of mineral? 

I don't want to give away the location. 

Fair enough. I was more trying to discern what you meant by preservative properties in this instance. I was also unclear about the relevance of a water shelf with respect to these items. Could you possibly describe the objects' appearance, particularly given that several of the few fossilized fungi we know of do not typically resemble the average mushroom?

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

No these don't resemble the average mushroom. Imagine a mushroom pulled inside out. As if an umbrella is growing out of a ceiling without the staff attached to it...I can't wait to show everyone. I want to radiocarbon dates them one day. Maybe hundreds of thousand years old 

Fossil sponges are quite common and are often mistaken for mushrooms by beginners: Here are two examples from the Early Campanian around Hannover, Germany.

58abefb5afc95_CoeloptychiumsulciferumROEMER1841.jpg.92bfe75040d477f04a08655bfe9d9acd.jpg

Coeloptychium sulciferum, ROEMER 1841

58abefb6cccd1_Coeloptychiumagaricoides(GOLDFUSS1826).jpg.fe7f263dceebd4e868b6ac7daf1ac01c.jpg

Coeloptychium agaricoides (GOLDFUSS, 1826)

Thomas

PS: Not from my collection.

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

:popcorn:

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

I know of several good articles on Coeloptychids.

E.G.(drawback for some:in German):

hausft_38.pdf

Zittel's article(19th century!!) is pretty nifty as well

Freely available,i'll post the link for those interested

7 hours ago, oilshale said:

Fossil sponges are quite common and are often mistaken for mushrooms by beginners: Here are two examples from the Early Campanian around Hannover, Germany.

58abefb5afc95_CoeloptychiumsulciferumROEMER1841.jpg.92bfe75040d477f04a08655bfe9d9acd.jpg

Coeloptychium sulciferum, ROEMER 1841

58abefb6cccd1_Coeloptychiumagaricoides(GOLDFUSS1826).jpg.fe7f263dceebd4e868b6ac7daf1ac01c.jpg

Coeloptychium agaricoides (GOLDFUSS, 1826)

Thomas

PS: Not from my collection.

Those look no where near what we have.

These pictures arejust a few of many I have at work. I will take photos of the actually petrified fungus/ mushroom. Im a little antsy also...have to sit until my buddy gets back from traveling later today 

IMG_3852.JPG

Fungi are preserved in,e.g.,the Rhynie Chert,Alava Amber.

Im just guessing,but maybe some recent(Holocene) mushrooms got mineralized by cave drip?

For fossil fungi,check the collected wrtings of Dotzler/Krings et al  

http://diposit.ub.edu/dspace/bitstream/2445/100980/1/655358.pdf

In case anyone is wondering: funnily enough the Geologica Acta link isn't working

1 hour ago, Kennymaan said:

These pictures arejust a few of many I have at work. I will take photos of the actually petrified fungus/ mushroom. Im a little antsy also...have to sit until my buddy gets back from traveling later today 

58 minutes ago, doushantuo said:

Fungi are preserved in,e.g.,the Rhynie Chert,Alava Amber.

Im just guessing,but maybe some recent(Holocene) mushrooms got mineralized by cave drip?

For fossil fungi,check the collected wrtings of Dotzler/Krings et al  

That's a good guess. But it seems like this forum is all about guessing. I haven't seen any petrified fungi or mushrooms in here...how can someone claim what's not if that person never seen? I'll have detailed photos later. I maybe the first to actually show petrified fungi. And the white mineral show in the photo have a preserve property on the periodic table. 

Archived