Calvert Cliffs bone and vert. help

frankh8147

I took a break from the New Jersey Cretaceous and went to Calvert Cliffs, MD on Saturday and Sunday. I found these two items I would like a little more information on. The first one I was told is probably wither dolphin or whale (Squalodon?). The second is piece of bone and I was hoping the odd shape of it could lead to more information on it. Thanks!  -Frank

cal4.jpg

cal3.jpg

cal2.jpg

cal1.jpg

15 hours ago, Darktooth said:

Nice pieces, but sorry I can't help with id. 

Thanks! I was pretty excited when I found the vert. Now I just have to figure out what it is :)

14 hours ago, Ropterus said:

Sorry, I won't be of much help either, but nice finds! Wishing I was down there myself this past weekend.

No problem; it was definitely a great weekend to be out there, I think it was 68 on sunday!

The vertebrae could possibly be a seal vertebrae. Yours looks a little more elongated than the one below but that might be due to a different position in the backbone. 

seal-vertebra-fossil.jpg

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

The vertebra is from a cetacean - pinniped vertebrae never get that classic cylindrical shape. Furthermore, it's likely from a dolphin (Odontoceti).