Post Oak Creek early-mid Feb plus Llano River bonus

Jakuzi

Hi y'all,

Here are the finds from 3 separate half day trips to Post Oak Creek during the first weekend of Feb and from last Saturday.  One of those days was spent hunting a new to me part of the creek that seemed to have more trash and glass than fossils.  That day I decided to make a move to a more productive part of the creek to collect  some gravel that I had promised my nieces so they could do some fossil hunting at home.  Also I collected some for myself.  Last Saturday @Buffalo Bill Cody and I went hunting.  It's was warmer and I noticed several bass swimming in the creek.  I'll have to bring my fishing pole for the next outing.

The week before last I went canoeing on the Llano River for 4 days where I had the pleasure of seeing some interesting fossils that I'll be posting below.

Bare with me.  I'm posting from an IPhone.

IMG_4925.JPG

My fist mosasaur vert from Post Oak!  It seems to be in a bad state of decay.  It's almost crumbling just running my finger across it and there is a crack running through the middle. Any ideas on how I could preserve it other than never touching it again?

IMG_4838.JPG

These are small(micro?) fossils taken from 2 bags of gravel I brought home with some the better ones along the bottom.  I'm not sure if the matrix here is considered rich enough for trade but if anyone is interested I would be willing to trade flat rate boxes.

IMG_4932.JPG

And how about this?  A guy I met out there once described something like this to look out for.  I thought I remembered him saying it was some type of ray tooth/plate.

IMG_4929.JPG

IMG_4930.JPG

Nice finds! That one item looks like a freaky eyeball!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

53 minutes ago, Jakuzi said:

Any idea what this is??

IMG_4927.JPG

It might be a broken shark centra. What does the other side look like?

7 hours ago, jpc said:

the other 'what is it?' looks like a neural plate from a small turtle.  But your hand print is in focus, not the fossil.    

How's that? 

IMG_4938.PNG

11 hours ago, Jakuzi said:

My fist mosasaur vert from Post Oak!  It seems to be in a bad state of decay.  It's almost crumbling just running my finger across it and there is a crack running through the middle. Any ideas on how I could preserve it other than never touching it again?

IMG_4838.JPG

I would have to see pics from each end but i don't think it's Mosasaur. 

Looks mossy to me. I'm certainly no expert, so take it for what it's worth. I really dig the eyeball looking centrum.. or whatever the heck it is!

1 hour ago, Koldsimer said:

Looks mossy to me. I'm certainly no expert, so take it for what it's worth. I really dig the eyeball looking centrum.. or whatever the heck it is!

Looks mossy to me as well.  The eyeball thing is convex and comes to a point so I would think that rules out centra.  Also I'm far from an expert as well so who knows.

These stromatolites are awesome! Do you have close up pix of the one that had fallen? What's their age? Pretty interesting stuff, thanks for sharing!!!!

On 2/26/2017 at 11:31 AM, zoocosmolina said:

These stromatolites are awesome! Do you have close up pix of the one that had fallen? What's their age? Pretty interesting stuff, thanks for sharing!!!!

Glad someone finds them interesting.  These are about 500 million years old which I guess is relatively young for stromatolites.  The pic is the best one.  Everything we saw of the strats was on the first day and my phone was full so I asked a buddy to take pics of them for me.  Here also is a link to a cool video about these particular strats.

http://earthscience.rice.edu/2015/08/18/cambrian-stromatolites-in-central-texas-video-alternate-2/

IMG_4962.PNG

Some mighty fine fishing on that river. Plus you are not too far from one of the gold bearing areas of Texas.

Your very looks mossy to me too.

Jess B.

• I found this Informative 1

• 7 months later...

Jakuzi, you asked about what you can do to preserve the crumbling bone that you found. I use Paraloid B-72 for all of the specimens that I collect. Paraloid B-72 is a thermoplastic acrylic resin much loved by archeologists. Google it or check out the FF topic: Fossil Preparation. There are several ways to use Paraloid B-72, you will just have to see what works for you. FYI: This stuff is a little strange to mix up (wrap the crystals in cheesecloth and then suspend the packet in a jar of acetone), but the results are a suspension that does not separate. Paraloid B-72 crystals can be sent via regular mail and are sold by several museum and conservation suppliers. For the acetone part of the mix, just go to Sally's and buy a jug of pure acetone. It is much cheaper there than at Home Depot or Lowe's. Sally's sells 32 oz. for $6.75. The Paraloid B-72 crystals are $12.10 for 1/2 pound, and $16.25 for a pound at TALAS. 

Here is how to mix it:  http://www.workbenchdiary.com/2012/12/how-to-mix-weight-volume-paraloid-b-72.html

Something else that I had to learn the hard way is how to collect and preserve materials recovered from salt water. The treasures you find need to be kept wet and not exposed to air until you are ready to start the conservation process (zip lock bags with some sea water work great). First remove all foreign matter from the specimens (algae, live critters, etc.). Then soak the items in fresh water from two to four weeks to remove all of the sea salts and minerals. The water should be changed at least daily (I use a bucket with enough water to cover the specimens 6-8 inches). Because the water out of the tap in Texas contains so many minerals, for the last 3-4 days of the soak, I use distilled water (try making distilled water yourself - it's really easy!). The purpose is to remove as much of the salt and minerals as you can so that you will not have any issues with humidity causing swelling and breakage. Dry the items with a paper towel and leave them out on a counter in your house to dry gradually. Do not put them in the sun, apply heat, or put them outside where insects can get on them. Just leave them alone except to turn them once a day. When they are completely dry, you are ready for the Paraloid B-72. (I had several teeth and bones from McFaddin Beach split apart before I learned how to properly conserve them.) 

Hope this info helps.

• 1 month later...
On 2/21/2017 at 6:05 AM, Jakuzi said:

@JarrodBwhat do you think it is if not mosasaur?

IMG_4946.JPG

IMG_4945.JPG

I was just searching something in POC and came across your post. I know it is months later, but it doesn’t look like you got an answer on the vert. I can’t be of much help on the ID, but the lecture notes at this URL are very informative with regards to comparative vertebrate skeletal anatomy.

http://people.eku.edu/ritchisong/342notes2.htm

Here is a pic from the notes. You will need to figure out what end is the front and which is the back. If it is a reptile I believe it will be concave in front and concave in the back. I’d say it is most likely from the caudal area since it doesn’t appear to have rib attachment points from what I can see.

The lecture notes should help you figure out what is front vs back side of vert.

0AA6066E-ECFB-4BB5-B5F3-75FE2842E972.thumb.jpeg.61c3925dc8202a81231fa6277a94f9c9.jpeg

99096F3D-E0C9-4894-9A67-1E23A043F53D.png

• I found this Informative 1