Calvert Cliffs Guide?

BrettCo124

Hey all,

i am planning a trip to Calvert Cliffs in Maryland with my girlfriend, but I was curious if there were any guides that frequently assist people who have never been to the cliffs before. It looks a little intimidating, but perhaps that's because I've never been there. 

Would you even suggest a guide if one was available? Or is it not crazy to go without one? I just want to be safe there. Could you offer your best advice if I were to go by myself to let's say Brownie's beach? Obviously I'd love to come across a Meg, as I've never found a tooth bigger than 3/4 of an inch before. It would be a thrill id never forget. I most certainly don't want anyone to give up any secret spots, but I'd love to know your best advice on a newbie like myself looking for some better looking fossils. 

Lastly, do I need to be wading in water to search for megs? I really wanted to strictly search on land (obviously not directly in the cliffs as I know that's illegal, and I wouldn't even if it was legal due to ruining something so naturally pretty). 

Thanks so much everybody. 

The only Guides that I have ever heard of at the Calvert cliffs, are those that do kayak trips in summer maybe spring. You can go to Brownies by yourself and find all kinds of good stuff. As far as advice, you have to be careful of falling debris off the cliffs as well as extremely high tides that occasionally happen and can make exiting difficult if you get caught out there during one. I as well as many others go by myself often. But you need to know your physical abilities as you may need to climb over obstacles while out there. Many people who have not been there are under the impression you are just walking along a beach. Not quite so. But certainly go with your girlfriend and have some fun. My wife has gone a few times.

Dave

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Thanks so much! Extremely informative and also I appreciate the concern of safety. Being stuck due to the tide change was not something I thought of, so thank you again. 

I won't get my hopes up, but what are the probabilities of finding a mako shark tooth or a meg tooth over an inch or so big? I will always appreciate any find, but I just want to find one of that size or larger really bad. 

I have been to Brownies twice.  Just south of the parking lot trail there is a cliff you need to walk around.  I was happy to have waders on.  I got a 3 inch meg on one of those two trips.  We used screen boxes.   

11 hours ago, BrettCo124 said:

Thanks so much! Extremely informative and also I appreciate the concern of safety. Being stuck due to the tide change was not something I thought of, so thank you again. 

I won't get my hopes up, but what are the probabilities of finding a mako shark tooth or a meg tooth over an inch or so big? I will always appreciate any find, but I just want to find one of that size or larger really bad. 

While finding any fossils at any particular site depends on many factors, there is a reasonable chance of finding makos or megs at calvert cliffs. You may not find them every time you go. You may only find pieces. You may find multiples. Its like a box of chocolates, you never know what you will get. One thing is for sure, you won't find any if you don't try. My best advice is look over every nook any cranny and don't give up.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

15 hours ago, BrettCo124 said:

To answer your question the chances of you finding a tooth over an inch are probably low at any site you visit on your first time.  Not because the teeth aren't at the common sites (Brownies, Matoaka, Flag Ponds, etc...) but because your fossil hunting ability to start at these locations is going to flat out stink.  You may luck into an obvious tooth but beach hunting the cliffs successfully takes lots of experience and trial and error.  Knowing how to look, training your eyes what to look for, knowing when to go an how to beat the crowds etc...  I can pretty much guarantee you I could go to any well known site and find a decent tooth on any given day but I also have close to 1000 hours of beach hunting under my belt.

Go but go with lower expectations.  Go mid week, go two or three hours before a low tide and plan to stay and walk the same stretch for 4 hours, and work until about an hour after low tide.  Sifting can be successful but it isn't worth in in my opinion unless you are young and the beach has been picked over completely.  Walking back and forth and focusing on the natural sift of the waves is just as effective if not more so to me.  I haven't touched a sifter in 5+ years.  

I agree with all the great advice given so far. I've been fortunate to find some really nice teeth there, and like others have said, some days it's just not your day. Good luck on your trip and be sure to let us know how you do.

Never much luck at the Cliffs, but then again I've always gone in mid Summer (the worst time to go).

I haven't found much at Calvert Cliffs state park except for a few snail shells and a broken megalodon (identified by a ranger who was going along the beach). In my opinion Flag Ponds was a lot better (I found lots of small shark teeth from there) but that was a few years ago, so maybe things have changed.

Archived