dolphin and gators of the Peace River Florida

Jdeutsch

I've sorted two general groups of specimens as shown in images

looks like some dolphin and alligator teeth to me, and then some things that don't- 

specimen A is a dome shaped hemisphere

G is flatter and could be enamel

H also looks like enamel

anyway appreciate any comments

overview.jpg

dolphin 2.jpg

dolphin3.jpg

dolphin.jpg

dolphin a.jpg

gator2.jpg

gator3.jpg

gator4.jpg

"C" also looks gator toothy to me and agree with "A". "G" indeed looks to be a mastodon tooth frag. "H" looks to be a well-worn gar ganoid scale.

Cheers.

-Ken

Thanks for all the input.  I make my guesses and am sometimes right and often off base.  It's a great learning experience.

Just for my interest, I updated the score card as to suggestions for identification. (see image)

I would appreciate opinions on the remainders if anyone feels so inclined

update.jpg

The others may be too river worn to allow us to hazard guesses based solely on images. Sometimes, having a piece in hand can allow an identification to be made that would not be possible from a couple of photos.

Cheers.

-Ken

I had a PM discussion with digit regarding the unidentified specimens B,D,I,J,K,L.  Although they are in poor shape, he suggested better light and closer views might enable one to see features that could lead to a potential ID on some of the pieces.  I am posting those images below-  anterior and posterior for all except K (the posterior of K is smooth)

BUntitled-9.jpg

bUntitled-16.jpg

DUntitled-10.jpg

DUntitled-15.jpg

I  Untitled-7.jpg

IUntitled-12.jpg

J backUntitled-2.jpg

JUntitled-2.jpg

JUntitled-3.jpg

kUntitled-5.jpg

LUntitled-11.jpg

LUntitled-14.jpg

I is most likely horse but it could also be bison or camel. At this level of wear , all look very similar. I think J is more likely gator.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

On 2/25/2017 at 8:57 AM, Shellseeker said:

I is most likely horse but it could also be bison or camel. At this level of wear , all look very similar. I think J is more likely gator.

Agreed. Just back from Dominica where I was kept busy for the last several days and couldn't keep up with this topic.

"J" says gator to me because of the ridge that is very apparent in the close-up photo on the outside of the tooth. Gator teeth have two "seams" that run down opposite sides of the tooth that make it look like it was manufactured in a 2-part mold.

Cheers.

-Ken

Archived