salvo1989s

need advice on first preparation ever

salvo1989s

hi all, i just bought this ammonite for preparation, this will be my first preparation ever, any good advice? didnt really know how to start.

IMG_1231.JPG

IMG_1230.JPG

IMG_1229.JPG

aerogrower

Wait for more experienced members, but from that last picture almost looks like a cast. If so no prep work is possible. Its the impression of an ammonite. Like I said wait for more responses, and welcome to the forum.

gigantoraptor

yeah, it really looks like a impression. If you plan was to prep it, I hope you didn't pay too much.

salvo1989s

10£ for this , hope its not too much xD , anyway, anyone know a good website where i can buy unprepared fossils in europe? 

Kosmoceras

Yeah this won't prep, its just the impression. Do you have any tools for preparing fossils?

RJB

No ammonite to prep.  :(

RB

Yvie

Agree impression,but what is the other bit?IMG_20170222_133645.thumb.jpg.5dba692e3606fd255128dc84fee1979c.jpg

Kosmoceras
3 minutes ago, Yvie said:

Agree impression,but what is the other bit?IMG_20170222_133645.thumb.jpg.5dba692e3606fd255128dc84fee1979c.jpg

Looks like another bit of ammonite - which would prep. I wouldn't attempt it with my basic tools though.

jpc

get a small sample of molding compound... silicon or something and make a mold of it.  You will then have a positive of your ammonite.