Sulphur River 02-19-17

Jakuzi

Headed out to Sulphur River with my girlfriend on Sunday.  Checked out a new bridge that looked like it had many gravel bars on the satellite images.  Upon getting to the bottom of the bridge my girlfriend promptly got stuck in the mud and ate sh*t. She's a trooper and we didn't let it get us down.  After walking for awhile through deep sucking mud we made it to the promised gravel bars.  Much of it was covered in mud, silt, and clay but there was still enough gravel for some good hunting.  As we would walk through the mud our feet would pull up layers of mud that would have gravel underneath. What exactly has to happen for that mud to wash away and reveal the gravel underneath?  I've read a lot on here about the spring rains?  Maybe a sustained rise of the river?

Here are our finds from the trip.  I'll post some close ups of question finds.

I'm planning on returning this Saturday for full day hunt.  Would anybody like to meet up?  @JarrodB @John S. @David E. ?

IMG_4948.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

Very nice finds! It's always fun to go with your significant other. Unfortunately I won't be able to return for a while. Busy weekends ahead but good luck!

North Central Texas

Eagle Ford Group / Ozan Formation

1 hour ago, Jakuzi said:

Shark tooth tip? Possible Mos tooth tip?

IMG_4955.JPG

IMG_4954.JPG

Mosasaur, possibly crocodilian? I say that because of the striations that are visible.

9 hours ago, Jakuzi said:

Shark tooth tip? Possible Mos tooth tip?

IMG_4955.JPG

IMG_4954.JPG

Mosasaur

9 hours ago, Jakuzi said:

Also my girlfriend found this.  It appears to be man made.  Any ideas?

IMG_4956.JPG

It's natural. I have a few of those. 

Sorry but I'll still be offshore. I come home next Friday so maybe we can hook up on my 2 wks off. Some of the bridge locations farmers are clearing land and pushing loads of mud into the river so creating a real mess. I have 15 different spots I enter so I can show you a couple of good spots when I get home based on the river level.

Nice finds Jakuzi.  If I didn't already have plans on Saturday, I'd definitely meet up with you guys.  I was thinking about going out tomorrow...we'll see how motivated I am when the alarm goes off.  Last Friday's hunt was a less than average and the mud sucked!  Just have to remind myself tomorrow morning that I cant find anything if I'm not out there looking. :)  Anywho...lets definitely meet up soon.

In regards to said mud, it wasn't bad when we were out there a few weeks ago.  Looks like that 5 ft. rise last week washed more gunk out and covered up the bars.  The area did get some more rain earlier this week but based on the little bit of rise that it had (up to abt 3 ft.), the bars probably have more sediment on top now.  

Congrats on the mosasaur tooth!  Pretty sweet...right?!?!?!

20 hours ago, Jakuzi said:

Also my girlfriend found this.  It appears to be man made.  Any ideas?

IMG_4956.JPG

Could it be an axle stone for a fire bow drill?

3 hours ago, David E. said:

Congrats on the mosasaur tooth!  Pretty sweet...right?!?!?!

Well I was kind of envisioning one about 20x bigger but I'll take it.  The quest continues for the big one.

26 minutes ago, Peace river rat said:

Could it be an axle stone for a fire bow drill?

I could definitely see it being used for one. JarrodB says it's some type of natural formation.

12 hours ago, JarrodB said:

Sorry but I'll still be offshore. I come home next Friday so maybe we can hook up on my 2 wks off. Some of the bridge locations farmers are clearing land and pushing loads of mud into the river so creating a real mess. I have 15 different spots I enter so I can show you a couple of good spots when I get home based on the river level.

Wow I had no idea that farmers pushed mud into the river.  I've got a free day on Sat so I'm going hoping that the last rain maybe washed things a little.  The only bridge I haven't explored is the 38.  I'm going expecting mud so I'll be prepared.  Any spot you recommend?

I'll be busy with a wedding on the coast next weekend and then having a party for St. Patrick's day the following weekend.  Though if there's some serious rain I might be coaxed out on a weekday to hunt if I can find some work in the area.

10 hours ago, Jakuzi said:

Wow I had no idea that farmers pushed mud into the river.  I've got a free day on Sat so I'm going hoping that the last rain maybe washed things a little.  The only bridge I haven't explored is the 38.  I'm going expecting mud so I'll be prepared.  Any spot you recommend?

I'll be busy with a wedding on the coast next weekend and then having a party for St. Patrick's day the following weekend.  Though if there's some serious rain I might be coaxed out on a weekday to hunt if I can find some work in the area.

38 is a good spot for points. Not as many fossils there as other locations. Check the white rock chalky layer seam on the sides of the bank. It has some good teeth coming out of it. It's a little tricky getting up and down the bank at that location so be careful. lol

12 hours ago, Jakuzi said:

Well I was kind of envisioning one about 20x bigger but I'll take it.  The quest continues for the big one.

They come in all sizes. The one in my profile pic is massive and this is my smallest. 

large.14681036_10206178985274083_5443978093921713397_o.jpg.64d2486846e47b358f11b2440831b879.jpg.90a85c6448776df0a87d59a4a9a6fcda.jpg

5 hours ago, JarrodB said:

They come in all sizes. The one in my profile pic is massive and this is my smallest. 

large.14681036_10206178985274083_5443978093921713397_o.jpg.64d2486846e47b358f11b2440831b879.jpg.90a85c6448776df0a87d59a4a9a6fcda.jpg

That's a beaut!  Finding a complete mos tooth is at the top of my Sulphur list.

20 hours ago, Jakuzi said:

That's a beaut!  Finding a complete mos tooth is at the top of my Sulphur list.

Very nice! I'd take that in a heart beat.