Seed and Coprolite?

PetrifiedDoubleGulp

Yesterday I looked in my batch of unattended rocks and found one very mixed fossiliferous rock I had been meaning to explore.

These are two of the specimens I found inside:

dungandseed.jpg

A few different views might help determine what these are. 
The small one looks a bit like a bivalve, but the other one I've got nothing. :headscratch:

Regards, 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

let me perfunctorily chime in with the above: i don't see the characteristic morphology of coprolites as known thus far to all known experts.

Knowing the age of the rocks would be a great help for identifying specimens like these.

Here's a picture of a fossil seed surrounded by other plant parts (I previously thought of as an arachnid) from a Triphyllopteris seed fern from the lower Mississippian for comparison: 

arachnid 1.jpg

There are some similarities with your second specimen, but something just seems off about it. Particularly the shape and striations which are more indicative of a bivalve to me. 

This clump was from Shoal Creek which has some Pleistocene and Upper Cretaceous if Im reading my geological survey right.

Thanks!!

If it is a seed / plant diaspore, and if it is late Cretaceous, one taxon that you might compare it to is Spinifructus antiquus.  I am not sure if it has been found outside of the Lance and Hell Creek Formations, but it does have longitudinal striations.  It has sort of a "pear shape".  Can't tell the original shape of yours due to condition and angle. Might be a related taxon. Just a thought.

No mystery here.  :)  These are both bivalve fossils (very common in the local formations).  The larger of the two looks like it has been worked over with a dremel or other aggressive prep tool.  :mellow:

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

I agree, both bivalves.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

I'm with JohnJ on these. :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Archived