Brian2828

Big Brook area - First timer

Brian2828

Most of my fossil hunting has been while diving in Venice, Florida.  I'm on Long Island and just learned about Big Brook and would love to check it out.  Once the weather his better, I'd like to head out with my six-year-old for a sifting trip.  Can anyone tell me if the area is accessible/safe for children?  I'd prefer that we connect with a group for our first time so if anyone is planning or knows of a club, please let me know.

Thanks,

Brian

Darktooth

Big brook Is very kid friendly. I have taken my kids there a few times and have seen large groups with kids before. Though there is some glass in the stream if you are careful and attentive with your child you should be fine.

Fossildude19

The New York Paleontological Society usually does a trip or two there each year. 

Just keep in mind, North eastern shark teeth are usually more on the small side of things. ;) 

Some helpful websites:

LINK 1

LINK 2

LINK 3 

Good luck. 

Regards,

Woopaul5

There's two other locations near by. Big brook is alright but they do have a collection limit. Raminessin brook and also shark river isn't too far from big brook. Shark river is Miocene I believe but has been picked pretty clean.

Renmat

Brian, Big Brook is really kids friendly. And you're pretty much guaranteed to come out with some cool finds. Also about 10 minutes from Big Brook there is Raminessin Brook that also is kid friendly and has various fossils. 

njfossilhunter
On 2/23/2017 at 10:30 PM, Brian2828 said:

Most of my fossil hunting has been while diving in Venice, Florida.  I'm on Long Island and just learned about Big Brook and would love to check it out.  Once the weather his better, I'd like to head out with my six-year-old for a sifting trip.  Can anyone tell me if the area is accessible/safe for children?  I'd prefer that we connect with a group for our first time so if anyone is planning or knows of a club, please let me know.

Thanks,

Brian

Hi Brian

I'm a member of the Delaware Valley paleo Society  DVPS and I head Field trips to Ramanessin Brook in the Spring to the fall each year as well Big Brook too. Our first trip Ramanessin will be on April 29th and if your interested just send me a PM and I will send you a message with the info....Some members here on the forum as well as me also set up fossil collecting trips to one of the brooks in the warmer days also,, So keep a eye out for them as well.

Tony 

Brian2828

Thanks Tony.  As always, life got busy and I haven't checked the forum.  Please let me know about any upcoming trips that are kid friendly.  We likely won't be able to get away for the long day until early July but will have a lot of time after.

Thanks,

Brian