Short trip to Calvert Cliffs

WAHAMA90

I made a quick trip to the Brownies Beach yesterday to catch the falling tide. It was a little colder than forecasted, and the waves were higher than normal. Everything was going fine until the cliffs came down. There was a loud roaring noise and I looked up just in time to see about 40 tons of the cliffs landing about 100 feet from me. It sent out a small tidal wave in my direction and I had dust in my mouth for a few more hours. Nothing will get the heart rate up quicker than the site of a landslide. 

20170224_072954.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Looks like you did ok, despite the landslide and the waves. 

Be careful out there - glad you were away from the fall at least. 

Thanks for the report. 

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I am very glad you are ok! Nice to see that you came away with some good stuff too! Nice Hemi's and Sandtigers!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

5 hours ago, Castle Rock said:

Did you happen to get a photo of the slide aftermath?

No pictures, I didn't get any closer than where I was at the initial fall. 

16 minutes ago, WAHAMA90 said:

No pictures, I didn't get any closer than where I was at the initial fall. 

You heading back out to check it out after the tide has had a chance to wash it a few times?

I second MCG DAWG's question...seems like ripe ground for fossil exposure. Certainly makes me grateful for flat land hunting.

Stay safe out there.

• I found this Informative 1

Nice finds! I think I would have had to change my shorts after that slide...I got freaked out seeing a small slide occur about 200 yards from me last summer.

Rob :D

I am going to try to head back there on Monday or Tuesday to check it out. They are getting a lot of heavy rain today with severe thunderstorms and tornado warnings. Hopefully all of the loose stuff will come down in that weather. 

A nice assortment of fossils ,,,,When the weather clears up and if it looks safe I would try to head back and check out the fallen sections for fossils,,,but only if you feel its save. I always check the cliffs for anything that looks to have cracks or sections that have any separation of the cliff face.....Safety is for most.

Tony
The Brooks Are Like A Box Of Chocolates,,,, You Never Know What You'll Find.

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

And Some Times I Forget.... I Mostly Forget.

1 minute ago, njfossilhunter said:

A nice assortment of fossils ,,,,When the weather clears up and if it looks safe I would try to head back and check out the fallen sections for fossils,,,but only if you feel its save. I always check the cliffs for anything that looks to have cracks or sections that have any separation of the cliff face.....Safety is for most.

I usually check out things like that also, but this fell from about 30 or 40 feet up. It all looks a little sketchy up there. 

The larger fall further down the beach is the one that came down the other day. I tookthis about where I was standing when it fell. The ground was extremely soft from about 40 feet before the pile. I was at the water line and was sinking in about 6-8 inches. There appears to have been a lot of it taken by the tides and heavy rain over the weekend. It is still about 20 feet tall and comes out on the beach about 15-20 feet.

20170227_103906.jpg

I guess the "big" fall is just past those logs? Sure doesn't look there is much fossil material in those cliffs.  The last time I got to collect in that area was WAY back in 1976 at Governor's Run. Dave