Iceland's First Pliocene Fossil Whale (Partial Skull Element) Found

njfossilhunter

Being a native or born in Iceland and being a fossil nut who loves fossil whales and other Marine Mammals I am specially proud of a recent discovery and a Publication Of Iceland's first and only known fossil Whale from the Tjörnes Formation. in the early Pliocene. One of our own forum member Boesse was one of the co-author's that worked on the scientific paper about this whale. Well I will let you read a copy of the paper. .....I hope you all enjoy it and if Boesse is reading this I would like to thank you for telling me a few years back about you working on this specimen which made it easy to find because I follow you on Twitter.

Field_et_al-2017-Palaeontology.pdf

• I found this Informative 1

Tony
The Brooks Are Like A Box Of Chocolates,,,, You Never Know What You'll Find.

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

And Some Times I Forget.... I Mostly Forget.

Thanks Tony! My colleage Rachel Racicot, who focuses on toothed whales (Odontoceti) invited me to collaborate on this since it was a baleen whale and I was familiar enough with baleen whale remains to describe it. Rachel and the lead author Dan Field were involved with collecting the specimen in Iceland.

• I found this Informative 1