Shark River, New Jersey

BrettCo124

Hey all,

I've never been to shark river in New Jersey before. I was curious if someone can give me an update on how it produces shark teeth fossils. Is it true That it's possible to find Megs and bigger teeth than say Big Brook in New Jersey?

jm very interested in going, and if anyone wouldn't mind offering me suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate it. I do not need to know your lucky spots lol. I'm just a guy who has never been there before and could use some guidance.  I just want to find a bigger tooth! Lol

You are not aloud to collect fossils in Shark River Park. You must enter Shark river from a different location. They don't even want you to carry any digging tools in the park either. The park extents beyond The Garden State Parkway ,,I don't know for sure how far... you would have to look at a up todate map since it changed some years ago. And yes you can find Megs there ..there is both Miocene and Eocene formations in the river. If you do go be very careful the cliff faces can be very dangerous if you dig near them ,, a few people have nearly lost their lives...Stick to the water stream it safer. I don't mean to throw you such a curve ,,but its better then throwing flowers on your grave,,,,Oh by the way I nearly lost my life there another 6 to 8 inches more,,,they may have never found me....No B.S.  another thing I need to add to my story ...people dig deep holes on top of the banks and they fill with water and covered with leaves...you can't see it coming,,,I had chest waders,,,like I said another 6 to 8 inches...it would have been up to my eyes.   I tell this to anybody that wants to go there I would feel terrible if something happens to you without a warning

Tony
The Brooks Are Like A Box Of Chocolates,,,, You Never Know What You'll Find.

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

And Some Times I Forget.... I Mostly Forget.

9 hours ago, njfossilhunter said:

You are not aloud to collect fossils in Shark River Park. You must enter Shark river from a different location. They don't even want you to carry any digging tools in the park either. The park extents beyond The Garden State Parkway ,,I don't know for sure how far... you would have to look at a up todate map since it changed some years ago. And yes you can find Megs there ..there is both Miocene and Eocene formations in the river. If you do go be very careful the cliff faces can be very dangerous if you dig near them ,, a few people have nearly lost their lives...Stick to the water stream it safer. I don't mean to throw you such a curve ,,but its better then throwing flowers on your grave,,,,Oh by the way I nearly lost my life there another 6 to 8 inches more,,,they may have never found me....No B.S.  another thing I need to add to my story ...people dig deep holes on top of the banks and they fill with water and covered with leaves...you can't see it coming,,,I had chest waders,,,like I said another 6 to 8 inches...it would have been up to my eyes.   I tell this to anybody that wants to go there I would feel terrible if something happens to you without a warning

Just curious as to when and why they closed fossil hunting at the park.

Dave

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

2 hours ago, Darktooth said:

Just curious as to when and why they closed fossil hunting at the park.

Dave

It was always prohibitive to collect fossils in any county or state park in NJ...its weather you get caught or not. They will stop you if they see you carrying anything that looks like your using for digging ..they may not say anything to you if you are surface scanning but most people dig in the stream or banks and that is a no no...so they just say no collecting allowed so they can use there own discretion weather to stop you if they feel that you are doing something more then just scanning in the stream.

Tony

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

1 hour ago, njfossilhunter said:

It was always prohibitive to collect fossils in any county or state park in NJ...its weather you get caught or not. They will stop you if they see you carrying anything that looks like your using for digging ..they may not say anything to you if you are surface scanning but most people dig in the stream or banks and that is a no no...so they just say no collecting allowed so they can use there own discretion weather to stop you if they feel that you are doing something more then just scanning in the stream.

The reason I ask is that I have been there once with my Family. At that time I was under the impression that the park was under the same rules as Big Brook. No sifters over a certain size and nothing bigger to dig with than a garden trowel. So that's what we showed up with and we met a park Ranger there who we talked to and he watched us while we sifted and never said a word about it. So basically this information comes as a surprise.

Dave

1 minute ago, Darktooth said:

The reason I ask is that I have been there once with my Family. At that time I was under the impression that the park was under the same rules as Big Brook. No sifters over a certain size and nothing bigger to dig with than a garden trowel. So that's what we showed up with and we met a park Ranger there who we talked to and he watched us while we sifted and never said a word about it. So basically this information comes as a surprise.

Dave

Well I understand what you are saying ,,,Yes you can be permitted to collect fossils at Shark River but only at the digression of a ranger ....Any county or state park that you go to do not allow you to remove or damage, alter the park in any way,,,There are exception to the rule but they are not going to give you a list of do´s and don´t ,,,its all up to the ranger.  As far as Big Brook park it was set up specifically for the collection of fossils while Shark River Park is not,,,,Know this may have changed in the past few years.   

Tony

1 minute ago, njfossilhunter said:

Well I understand what you are saying ,,,Yes you can be permitted to collect fossils at Shark River but only at the digression of a ranger ....Any county or state park that you go to do not allow you to remove or damage, alter the park in any way,,,There are exception to the rule but they are not going to give you a list of do´s and don´t ,,,its all up to the ranger.  As far as Big Brook park it was set up specifically for the collection of fossils while Shark River Park is not,,,,Know this may have changed in the past few years.   

See that's the thing we actually were in the park itself. And how I even found out about it, was through the Shark River fossil id website that those two guys put up. I can't remember their names. Over the past couple months I have even debated about going back there. But now I am questioning that decision.  Unless I can find an alternative legal entry point to the river. 

Dave

Thanks so much for the safety concern. That was very informative and certainly things I'll keep in mind if I ever go there. So, if your not in the park area, are there safe entry points outside of that area that it's legal to search in? 

I was just wondering, did you find anything good there, teeth-wise? I'm just curious if it's bigger and better teeth than big brook. Are they larger? I've done so much  Internet searching but only find out a small bit of info, and never photos of the teeth. I'm still learning so forgive my newbie questions. 

Im just leaving big brook as we speak, and I did well. But the teeth are typically small (1" or under, from what I've been finding).  I'd like to try shark river if it produces larger teeth. 

8 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

See that's the thing we actually were in the park itself. And how I even found out about it, was through the Shark River fossil id website that those two guys put up. I can't remember their names. Over the past couple months I have even debated about going back there. But now I am questioning that decision.  Unless I can find an alternative legal entry point to the river. 

Dave

I don´t mean to be the barer of bad news but there is no legal entry into the river because its owned by someone and there are trespassing laws....NJ is so good at keeping you from have fun. Your much better off  sticking with either Big Brook or Ramanessin ,,You will find much more there anyway.

• I found this Informative 1

Tony

4 minutes ago, BrettCo124 said:

Thanks so much for the safety concern. That was very informative and certainly things I'll keep in mind if I ever go there. So, if your not in the park area, are there safe entry points outside of that area that it's legal to search in? 

I was just wondering, did you find anything good there, teeth-wise? I'm just curious if it's bigger and better teeth than big brook. Are they larger? I've done so much  Internet searching but only find out a small bit of info, and never photos of the teeth. I'm still learning so forgive my newbie questions. 

Im just leaving big brook as we speak, and I did well. But the teeth are typically small (1" or under, from what I've been finding).  I'd like to try shark river if it produces larger teeth. 

There is a chance of finding larger teeth since it´s  both Miocene and Eocene age ,,,,But they are either broken or small I don´t mean that you can´t find a nice big tooth there I have seen some super teeth ,,I found a nearly 2 inch perfect great while tooth that was Miocene in age but they are rare and hard to find. Now as far as legally able to search shark river outside the park boundary you still  have the issue of trespassing to deal with when walking on to peoples property ,,they are all afraid of being sued if you get hurt.

Tony

Thanks so much for the info and advice. Question for everyone, when you go to, say big brook, what is your strategy? I just returned from there, and I've probably been there a dozen times already. 

I try and look for bends, and if I see gravel built up on the other side of the bend, I look through it. I bring a sifter and a small shovel. I also look for trees that fall over, or big rocks, and search all around it. 

I guess my question is, am I doing it right? I am finding teeth, so I believe I am. But I would like to find a mosasaur tooth,or hadrosaur tooth (Dino). Is there another strategy I don't know about to find those teeth? Mosasaur teeth are big, are they buried? Surface finds? Both? I just never get lucky with one of those bigger finds, even though I'm very happy with the shark teeth that I find. I feel fortunate to not live too far away from big brook. 

I've never collected the area but have collected shark teeth for about 30 years.  Shark River is an area you hear about but hardly ever see specimens from.  I have heard collecting there can be dangerous along with being largely unproductive.  Someone knowing the terrain, visiting semi-regularly, could find a few interesting things over time but it sounds like a hassle.  I don't know if you want the risk of a fine or jail time left to any person's discretion - better to have a precise regulation to follow.  I would stick to Big Brook or do some research to find a new place to prospect.

On 2/25/2017 at 2:01 PM, BrettCo124 said:

Thanks so much for the info and advice. Question for everyone, when you go to, say big brook, what is your strategy? I just returned from there, and I've probably been there a dozen times already. 

I try and look for bends, and if I see gravel built up on the other side of the bend, I look through it. I bring a sifter and a small shovel. I also look for trees that fall over, or big rocks, and search all around it. 

I guess my question is, am I doing it right? I am finding teeth, so I believe I am. But I would like to find a mosasaur tooth,or hadrosaur tooth (Dino). Is there another strategy I don't know about to find those teeth? Mosasaur teeth are big, are they buried? Surface finds? Both? I just never get lucky with one of those bigger finds, even though I'm very happy with the shark teeth that I find. I feel fortunate to not live too far away from big brook. 

It all sounds right to Me, sometimes it just takes persistence and determination.

Keep looking and You will find some really good things, quit looking and You will find nothing.

Tony

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

On 2/25/2017 at 5:01 PM, BrettCo124 said:

The strategy you talking about is just fine I do the same thing you are talking about as well. I have spent thousands and thousands of hours in the brooks and from all this time I have come to one conclusion and that is there is no one sure way to find the big, great or rare stuff......most of the time it's a matter of luck. some years back about 18years ago a total ,first time fossil collector on this very first trip collecting found a amazing plesiosaur tooth ,,,,like none I have ever seen come out of Big Brook. So keep trying and someday you will take home that price fossil you can display proudly on your mantle.......:)  

Tony

16 hours ago, ynot said:

Keep looking and You will find some really good things, quit looking and You will find nothing.

Tony

Tony.....None a wiser words spoken......:1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76:

Tony

• 1 year later...
3 hours ago, kushmeja said:

I'm pretty sure that collecting is allowed within Shark River Park. The Monmouth County Parks website even lists fossil collecting under their list of activities on their website, and I've never had an issue collecting there.

https://www.monmouthcountyparks.com/program1/searchdetails.aspx?ID=19564

I know nothing of your state park system, but the way this is worded, it sounds like you are having do this through a camp program where there is a park naturalist present.

Why else would they give you an age limit accompanied with an adult ?

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

On 2/25/2017 at 5:01 PM, BrettCo124 said:

I've been there about a dozen times myself- never -really- had a great day- and this is my approach: make/get a sifter with large screen size if you want big goodies. My big sifter is 1/2 inch hardware cloth screen and to be honest I think I might want to make one even bigger. You'll need to spend a couple/few hours working through a lot of material. It takes time, and understanding that a given day may or may not be your big day. I'm sure for every one "I had a an awesome big brook day look at the mosasaur and croc stuff I found" post there is on this forum there's a dozen trips they made that weren't as productive. The alternative approach is to look for micros, which I've had a lot of fun doing. Use a spaghetti-strainer or thing of the sort to work, and look for spots where new fresh wash has been joining the brook. Got some fun little things like relatively intact sea urchin spines that might otherwise have been smashed up after a long time in the creek.

Don't realistically expect hadrosaur teeth ot any other dino material. Remember that this is a marine deposit and terrestrial animals happen as a freak occurrence.

Happy hunting, it's been a few years since I've been to BB but maybe I'll actually have time for a trip or two this summer.

I have been to Shark River through an event to collect fossils. Had an amazing time there walking the trails and chilling out there. But it’s almost impossible to find good fossils. I did find a nice shell imprinted fossil but no teeth or anything else. Also, the water there is filled with iron phosphorus rendering the water quite murky. And many holes where present in the river bed.

Nevertheless, Shark River is not open for people who go alone without permission.

My one trip to Shark River was disappointing. Interestingly, I asked a park employee about fossil hunting and directions. He gave me directions and didn't say anything about it being prohibited. It's not a big issue in my opinion, little to be found there anyway. Maybe others have had better luck but I found the small stream generally fossil free. It's not a river, just a small stream with little in common with Big Brook.

I had a streak of going to Shark River about 8 years ago. I went about 12 times or so, maybe a little more. I would go with my grandma and hunt barefoot. The best finds I found were a two inch chub that was split in half and a small ric. The best time to go is the winter. Sometimes, even though the finds are extremely sparse, you may happen upon a tooth or two sitting on the gravel bars, since so few people go there nowadays. I know some people who would pull off at the side of the parkway bridge and toss their waders and shovels down over the side and then come through the park to get them. As Tony said there are an extraordinary amount of holes or pits of death that are extremely precarious. To find anything significant it is necessary to go far upstream past the first and second parkway bridges. The water is high and simply having boots won't cut it well. I would stick to Big Brook.

: )