Help with a couple shark teeth

WAHAMA90

Small lamnid shark from the older reworked layer of Paleocene material from Borwnies for the first maybe? And also probably retrolexus for the last? 

2 minutes ago, NSRhunter said:

Small lamnid shark from the older reworked layer of Paleocene material from Borwnies for the first maybe? And also probably retrolexus for the last? 

That's what I thought for both, but when I asked a question before about an older tooth showing up there it was shot down. For the mako this is the only one that I have found that was this color that's why I had a question about it. 

There absolutely isn’t a reworked Paleocene layer at Brownies Beach.  The base of the cliffs is Miocene Zone 3 Fairhaven Formation.  Further north at Fairhaven the base of the cliffs is also Zone 3 Fairhaven Formation.  There are places in MD like Popes Creek where Zone 3 Fairhaven Formation overlies a reworked Eocene layer.  So it is possible that somewhere in the Chesapeake Bay teeth from this Eocene reworked layer are washing into Brownies Beach.  However to me a more logical explanation is that it is a contaminant.  Groups who sponsor children’s beach fossil hunts dump all kinds of stuff on the beaches for the kids to find.  I’m strongly against this type of beach salting because it adds all kinds of contaminants but unfortunately it happens all the time.  I can tell you that I collected Brownies beach in the 1970s and 1980s extensively and never found a single reworked Eocene or Paleocene tooth.  However, I do find on rare occasion reworked Eocene teeth far down river on the beaches with Miocene cliff exposures along the Potomac River.

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

Archived