Is my Megladon tooth real.

Avila600

Hi i bought a megladon tooth from a guy for $100. thought i was getting a good deal due to the high cost of megladon teeth but the more i look online the more i keep thinking it might be fake.

I think its real because of the pebbles and dirt stuck in between the cracks and the weight is good but im not 100% on it. Not sure if i over paid or if I got a good deal, any info helps thanks. bought it in santa barbara if that makes a difference.

Photo on 2-25-17 at 3.44 PM.jpg

Photo on 2-25-17 at 3.45 PM.jpg

Photo on 2-25-17 at 3.45 PM #2.jpg

Hi Avila600.  Your meg tooth looks authentic to me. Any replica meg teeth I've seen never display flaws like cracks or enamel peel. On inspection, replica teeth are often lighter in weight and have an obvious painted look. As to whether or not you got a deal that depends on how much you like the the tooth:).  Welcome to the forum. You will find the members on this forum very helpful and generous with their knowledge.

Edited by bcfossilcollector
  • I found this Informative 2

Looks perfectly real to me due to the imperfections.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

It's real and a nice tooth. The enamel peel causes the value to go down but still a cool tooth.

I also agree, that is a real tooth. And as far as price goes, if you were happy with paying the price that you did, that is all that matters- enjoy it.

Definitely a real tooth. It's not a bad sized tooth and it has pretty nice serrations. The enamel peel is the only thing that could negatively affect the overall value of the tooth, but the missing enamel definitely adds to it's authenticity. These teeth are pretty common and dealer's prices for them can be all over the map, but I wouldn't say you got ripped off. Enjoy!