Mammoth Knee?

billyatom

I have a large joint-like bone found in NE long ago by my grandfather.  It's "soft" in the sense that if you would use a tool on it it would flake. The bone measures 8" long, 61/2" tall and 6 1/2" wide.  the tooth is fossilized and measures 7" long, 5 1/2" tall and 4" wide.  Any help would be appreciated.  I've exceeded my photo limit, i'll put in another post if needed  Billyatom

IMG_8926.JPG

IMG_8927.JPG

IMG_8929.JPG

It looks like a foot bone from a large animal of some kind.....It's a interesting find. I'll be waiting for someone that maybe able to do a better ID.....:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

P.S. Welcome to the forum....:) 

Tony
The Brooks Are Like A Box Of Chocolates,,,, You Never Know What You'll Find.

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

And Some Times I Forget.... I Mostly Forget.

I see a mammoth/mastodon toe bone.  Well worn.  I know NE has a lot of mammoth bones, but I don't know about mastodons in NE.  

Im no expert of any kind when it comes to bones, but I think mammoth knee bones are very round?  Nice cool find though.

RB

Welcome to the forum.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

5 minutes ago, RJB said:

Im no expert of any kind when it comes to bones, but I think mammoth knee bones are very round?  Nice cool find though.

RB

I think their patellae are as round as ours.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

It's too large for any mammal toe bone.  Fifbrindacier is correct about patellae.  I think this may be an elephantoid ankle bone (carpal or tarsal) which is missing its cortex.

• I found this Informative 2

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

• 3 weeks later...

This does not look like any of our mammoth's toe bones.  It has the shape o the finger bones, but is too long.  And it has the length of the metapodials, but it flares out too much on the'top' end.  I don;t know.