Found this hiking yesterday

Nörsk Grunner

Found this yesterday near Delaware Water Gap. At first I thought maybe a moth. However the shape and texture appears to be more feather like. Could this be from a small bird?

IMG_0397.JPG

IMG_0407.JPG

IMG_0404.JPG

Edited by Nörsk Grunner
Photo was blurry

Found this in Northwest North Dakota near Powerslake. Is it a bone fossil? I have more pictures. 

IMG_0427.JPG

IMG_0439.JPG

Wow thank you I've always thought it was a bone. Ok I have one more for today If anyone has any idea about this stone. Found near Delaware Water Gap, PA along the Brodhead river right before it enters the Delaware river. It's a strange rock could it be a fossil?  fits perfectly into the fist of a hand . Any ideas?IMG_0440.thumb.JPG.e7d3dd3331cc4d9237f96ef34e6eb372.JPG

That first one is a spiriferoid brachiopod, probably Devonian or Silurian in age, but I'm not sure about the species. The last rock appears to be a rock with interesting mineral formations on it.  

• I found this Informative 1

I agree the first is a kind of Spirifer.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Is the one on the second photo the other side of the first ? The photo is a little blurry.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

In memory of Doren

OK, thanks.

In memory of Doren

The first fossil is a brachiopod. It looks remarkably similar to Spirifer (I'm blanking on the name now...) sp. from the Silurian aged Rose Hill, Rochester, and McKenzie Formations so I'd go tentatively with that. Edit: actually the Ordovician brachiopod Platystrophia sp. looks similar as well, which would mean this isn't a spiriferid but rather a heteromorphy.

The next one is siltstone, likely from the same formation of rocks.

The last one looks to be veins of quartz/calcite in a limestone. I don't know what formations are up that way, but further south in the state the formation I'd go with is the Chambersburg Limestone, a middle Ordovician unit.

Edit: I can't find it now, but anyways this report has a lot of info on the Silurian and Devonian fauna and flora of the local units:

https://pubs.usgs.gov/bul/1173/report.pdf

Hello,

Not trying to be bossie but, it would be easier on you personally to post different specimens on different thread.

Easier on us as well.

BTW: One of your specimens has the general appearance of a coprolite.:hammer01:

Jess B.

11 hours ago, howard_l said:

Looks  more like siltstone to me

Agreed. The laminated look may be more the result of weathering. Certainly not bone.

11 hours ago, Nörsk Grunner said:

Wow thank you I've always thought it was a bone. Ok I have one more for today If anyone has any idea about this stone. Found near Delaware Water Gap, PA along the Brodhead river right before it enters the Delaware river. It's a strange rock could it be a fossil?  fits perfectly into the fist of a hand . Any ideas?IMG_0440.thumb.JPG.e7d3dd3331cc4d9237f96ef34e6eb372.JPG

I can't explain why, but rocks with a similar arrangement of crystals seem to be fairly common. In my opinion the odds of it being a coprolite are exceedingly slim.

7 hours ago, bone2stone said:

Hello,

Not trying to be bossie but, it would be easier on you personally to post different specimens on different thread.

Easier on us as well.

BTW: One of your specimens has the general appearance of a coprolite.:hammer01:

Jess B.

Wow this is a great knowledgeable group thank you all for responding. I look forward to ID new stones in future.

I recently developed rockhound fever disease. So I have not found many fossils... yet. I hope to be so lucky and will post any findings.  

6 minutes ago, Nörsk Grunner said:

I recently developed rockhound fever disease.

Welcome to the clinic! We do not cure You but will help You to live with the symptoms-- The need to go fossil hunting every chance You get and add more and more to the collection!:thumbsu:

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Welcome to Fossiholics Anonymous!  This is a 12 Step Program. If you don't immediately find fossils, walk 12 steps and look again!

• I found this Informative 3

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

6 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

Welcome to Fossiholics Anonymous!  This is a 12 Step Program. If you don't immediately find fossils, walk 12 steps and look again!

:hearty-laugh::rofl::hearty-laugh:

:thumbsu:

• I found this Informative 2

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.