NJ Cretaceous Specimens

vasili1017

I need help identifying these three specimens found at Ramanessin Brook. 

1. The cutting edge and root lead me to believe it's a mosasaur tooth. 0.5in long

2. A worn mosasaur or enchodus tooth fragment? 0.75in long

3. Bone. 1.25in long

Thank you

IMG_2220.JPG

IMG_2219.JPG

IMG_2217.JPG

Your first tooth could be a Croc tooth ...That what I'm thinkiing and the second looks like a broken fragment of a Enchodus ...II don't see a third fossil unless its the last picture which to me is another view of the second item.  

Tony
The Brooks Are Like A Box Of Chocolates,,,, You Never Know What You'll Find.

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

And Some Times I Forget.... I Mostly Forget.

1 minute ago, vasili1017 said:

IMG_2221 copy.jpg

IMG_2222.JPG

IMG_2223.JPG

OK...there is the third picture ...its bone alright but I can't off hand make out whats its from....maybe a another view or views may help

Tony

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

1. May also be Pachyrhizodus; it doesn't look like like Mosasaur too me. 2. Enchodus. 3 ha me stumped but it is bone.

3 minutes ago, frankh8147 said:

1. May also be Pachyrhizodus;

I think Frank is right Pachyrhizodus never crossed my mind......Good one frank....:dinothumb:

Tony

I don't think a croc tooth would have that cutting edge. Pachyrhizodus is an intriguing possibility. That would be rarer than a mosasaur. Nice find and congratulations.

The third piece is most likely a turtle bone.

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

You guys seem to have the fossils figured out, but i really like the tool that is holding the fossil. Where did you get that Vasili1017?

On 2/27/2017 at 4:39 PM, gturner333 said:

You guys seem to have the fossils figured out, but i really like the tool that is holding the fossil. Where did you get that Vasili1017?

It's called a pick-up tool or gem holder. I ordered mine on Amazon. Highly recommend it 

On 2/26/2017 at 10:55 PM, josephstrizhak said:

The third piece is most likely a turtle bone.

What makes you say that? 

10 hours ago, josephstrizhak said:

Well, most bone material from big brook and ramanessin is from turtles. But other than that, the piece has these relatively big porous holes which can be attributed to most turtle material I've seen. If it was from a mosasaur the holes would usually be smaller in size. Hadrosaurus bones have a sort of faint striped pattern on the inside part of their bones and no porous holes. I don't really know much about how the bones of a crocodile or plesiosaur would look like as most of them are scrappy just like most mosasaur and hadrosaur remains are.

The fragment also looks like it is the end of a bone.

In my experience it is not so straightforward as to what bone fragments come from what reptile in the Big Brook area. And in my experience, identifiable turtle bones are not at all as common as other bone bits. 

22 hours ago, josephstrizhak said:

But the bone material mainly comes from turtles in the area as they are the most common reptile out of the mosasaurs, plesiosaurs, crocodiles, and hadrosaurs. I mean, it is hard to identify a bone, but it is most likely from a turtle.

But how can you know that most of the bone there comes from turtles, and thus that they are the most common reptiles there?

I have a lot of experience with turtle bones, and this one, although it has some nice texture, does not look like any part of any turtles I know.  

My initial thought on the first tooth was croc, but the view of the base says NOT croc.  I will go with the guys who say it is a fish.  

17 hours ago, josephstrizhak said:

I've collected a lot in the Cretaceous streams of Monmouth County and over time I found a lot more identifiable turtle remains than identifiable remains from the other reptiles. That makes it easy to conclude that most of the worn material must be mostly from turtles as well. I know that they are the most common reptiles there according to just research including:  http://www.fossilsofnj.com/reptiles/turtle.htm

Understood. I guess we have different levels of bone fragment ID confidence.

Archived