Let's see your latest mailbox score - 2017!!

britishcanuk

On 5/18/2017 at 10:23 PM, Fossildude19 said:

These came in the mail for me today! 

Have always wanted some Bolivian Trilobites. :) 

All are Eldredgia venustus.

I just scored a couple of those myself! They are super neat with their little "capsules". I wonder if we got them from the same place, lol.

• I found this Informative 1

Jay A. Wollin

Lead Fossil Educator - Penn Dixie Fossil Park and Nature Reserve

Hamburg, New York, USA

On 4/14/2017 at 4:04 AM, Bobby Rico said:

Postman always knocks twice . This is what I got yesterday a bargain form across the pond. A nice fossil crab originally from Tasmania I think it is Macrophthalmus latreillei   but  can't be sure not had time to read up on it yet. Now placed in a nice spot in my collection Bobby

IMG_0449.JPG

I beleive this crab is actually from NT or QLD, i'll try and dig out the label for my one :)

On 25/03/2017 at 10:50 AM, Bobby Rico said:

Please and thank you. That will be great . Bobby 

• 2 weeks later...

Recently I have been lucky enough to win some Fossil Forum Members Auctions and received a few things that have interested me.

I will start off with items that I received (2 auctions) from Skyelar @Jesuslover340 before her move to Australia. 

Hoplophoneus claw core, astragalus and humerus from the Oligocene of Nebraska.

IMG_5304.thumb.PNG.06bc1202f7b378c5711ddfb692dcb58f.PNG

Glossopterus leaf plate from the Permian of Australia.

IMG_5312.thumb.PNG.0e7bb96e750f6b9742e6150b29f368da.PNG

Some Pleistocene marsupial material from Queensland, Australia:

-Macropus sp calcaneum 

-Partial kangaroo tail vertebra

-Dorsal process of a Diprotodontid vertebra

-Partial atlas vertebra of a juvenile Diprotodontid

IMG_5307.thumb.PNG.a24ae6f2d8ebfb2ad16b1e0b093cad98.PNG

-Humerus head of a Diprotodontid 

-Kangaroo ulna, tibia and misc bone.

IMG_5309.thumb.PNG.061ee9cdd85af2e6aec7e47f750f7d68.PNG

And from Ron @PaleoRon I also won two auctions- the first was for a huge Self-collected Pliocene whale vertebra and to my surprise, he added a second.

IMG_5287.thumb.PNG.ae60063a95f4e018f6120a093f26e3c1.PNG

The added one:

IMG_5284.thumb.PNG.dad428a3d8bc0f060fa5e943f0b4f976.PNG

I also won his auction for 16 pounds Lee Creek Micro Matrix and I was again surprised when he added some  Moroccan shark teeth, misc fossils ( vert/ shells / teeth, etc) from Post Oak Creek, Texas- and lastly, he added a couple nice small boxes for display / storage.

IMG_5293.thumb.PNG.48c5709945eab1e86ee341270e1953a8.PNGIMG_5298.thumb.PNG.213d0c09d910e087055aaed4d0ddd251.PNGIMG_5301.thumb.PNG.588a664af9fa6476eb10f4b368e0642c.PNG

Thanks again to both of you for offering these items up for auction.

Ralph

IMG_5296.PNG

Nice additions... Is that Glossopteris covered by a bit of matrix there, maybe it can be removed?

4 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

Nice additions... Is that Glossopteris covered by a bit of matrix there, maybe it can be removed?

There are leaves on both sides and even in the middle  (a small piece is exposed )- with it being layered m, there are leaves throughout the whole piece/ it is over 1" thick.

I'm just referring to that one completish leaf on the right, with what looks like a small bit of overlying matrix.

1 hour ago, Wrangellian said:

I'm just referring to that one completish leaf on the right, with what looks like a small bit of overlying matrix.

I will take a closer look at that, I just don't want to damage the leaf that is to the left which is on a higher plane. I may also try to split the plate in the middle, along the plane line - I recall a crack already forming and it may reveal other leaves. I will let you know what I do with that.

Glad to see the auction fossils have found a nice home!

Albeit not received in a mailbox, it is under the heading of having been 'bought', and I'm pretty proud to have it: a Razanandrongobe tooth from the Jurassic of Madagascar :D Special thanks to @Down under fossil hunter for helping me get one!

received_705989536274607.jpeg

received_705989499607944.jpeg

"Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another."
-Romans 14:19

On 7/17/2017 at 0:10 AM, fossilized6s said:

100% complete Museum grade Woolly Rhino tooth

20170716_170643.jpg

This one sets mine to shame! :(

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the mail man hooked me up today! :D 

First up - an Early Cretaceous Crato Formation, Brazil, Dastilbe crandalli, found on our favorite auction site.

It was listed as a Knightia eocaena, from the Green River Formation. :rolleyes: 

Got it shipped, for a few dollars less than the other Dastilbe's are going for online.  

DSCN5711.JPG

Last Friday, I saw an unidentified Green River Formation Fish, for an extremely reasonable price. 

I recognized it, and contacted some of our fish experts here to confirm my identification. 

This is an uncommon fish from the Green River Formation -  Amphiplaga brachyptera.   :ninja:

DSCN5714.JPG

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

2 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

Well, the mail man hooked me up today!

Nice acquisitions, congratulations (on having such a nice mailman to bring You such lovely fossils.)

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Good eye, Tim... I would not have been able to tell either from the usual Green River stuff.

The Mailbox Formation was quite productive yesterday, courtesy of @Fossil-Hound. He and I have been swapping material in the last while, and he really outdid himself with this lovely package of fossil goodies.

First up: the famous Utah trilobites Asaphiscus wheeleri and Elrathia kingii. Jason also did some mighty good prep on these to uncover the thin layer of shale covering them. Deb's favourite is the Elrathia plate with the wee one. :D  

IMG_4071.JPG

IMG_4072.JPG

IMG_4073.JPG

An assortment of shells and teeth from CC. Although I know my fossil friends down south who explore the rivers may find tons of them, these ones are particularly special to me as they are the first shark teeth to enter into my collection. Also pictured here is a nice, big and plump Chesapectens:

IMG_4074.JPG

IMG_4075.JPG

IMG_4076.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

@Kane your welcome and thanks for the trade! B) :D Looks like that first molt with oxidation could use some light prep as there are some iron flakes. I leave that to you as an exercise. :P

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

Some awesome fossils in other people's mailboxes! 

Here is what arrived in my mailbox today: 

IMG_0996.thumb.JPG.96dc2dde1e324420d625855f4263f2ad.JPG

A beautiful assortment of fossils from the Popovac marlstone mine in Serbia. Those fossils are from the Miocene (approx 14 mya). 

Includes:

• top left: pos/neg of a willow leaf

• top right: oyster mortality plate 

• bottom right: seashell (this side) and plant (other side)

• far left: two pieces of plant

• bottom middle: fish pieces (fins/ribs)

I got those beauties from @Darko in exchange for shark teeth and seashells. Thanks a lot Darko!

Those fossils are maybe not as impressive as a big 6-inch meg, but in my opinion are a lot more interesting (and a lot more uncommon). This is because the marl stone where they come from is very little documented, and not at all well known. According to Darko, he is the only hunter at the mine (which is good because he then has all the fossils to himself :)). So basically they are inaccessible on the market, which makes them a lot more uncommon than any meg tooth!

So if you want to get some fossils of this unique location yourself, I highly recommend trading with Darko! 

Once again, thanks a lot Darko for this awesome trade!

Max

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

Here is a mailbox gift of three trilobites (Asaphiscus wheeleri) that I received from a friend on the forum. I did a very quick prep this afternoon . Hard to believe but I have never prepped one before, but before this I only had a partial in my possession. Truth be known I have never prepped an Elrathia kingi either and only have one that was gifted to me by the late Jim Cox. I guess people are not out there rushing to get these prepped.   I suspect that a lot of people just leave the Asaphiscus as they find them. These were found at U-Dig . Total prep time for all three was about 20 minutes under the air abrasion.

udig.thumb.jpg.d4990e3c0849e7decec054024c173f65.jpg

I recently got these two nice transitional teeth. One is a Moroccan Palaeocarcharodon and the other is a South African hubbelli or escheri, not sure which.

IMG_3765.JPG

IMG_4335.PNG

Also got this lower hubbelli from Chile recently :)

IMG_4290.JPG

7 hours ago, Malcolmt said:

Here is a mailbox gift of three trilobites (Asaphiscus wheeleri) that I received from a friend on the forum. I did a very quick prep this afternoon . Hard to believe but I have never prepped one before, but before this I only had a partial in my possession. Truth be known I have never prepped an Elrathia kingi either and only have one that was gifted to me by the late Jim Cox. I guess people are not out there rushing to get these prepped.   I suspect that a lot of people just leave the Asaphiscus as they find them. These were found at U-Dig . Total prep time for all three was about 20 minutes under the air abrasion.

udig.thumb.jpg.d4990e3c0849e7decec054024c173f65.jpg

The two lower ones appear to be Elrathia... the one at top is Asaphiscus. Hard to tell scale but either they are large Elrathias or the Asaphiscus is on the small side.. I thought the A's were generally larger than the E's but of course there will be some overlap.

People do prep the Utah stuff, but crudely - most of the ones I come across have had the wire brush treatment which I can't see being very good for the fossil, and a less-trained eye might wonder what those grooves in the matrix are! When I see air-abrasive jobs done on these and other Utah Cambrian fossils (eg. Gogia crinoids), it seems like they go too far as well, to the point where troughs start to form around the fossils. Your work is much better.

BTW, any ETA for the prep job on my McKay Gp trilo?

4 hours ago, britishcanuk said:

I recently got these two nice transitional teeth. One is a Moroccan Palaeocarcharodon and the other is a South African hubbelli or escheri, not sure which.

Also got this lower hubbelli from Chile recently :)

Please put the genus name with the species name. A species without its genus seems nothing... The foreigners haven't necessarily your species with them ! ;)

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

On 29-8-2017 at 3:17 AM, Fossildude19 said:

First up - an Early Cretaceous Crato Formation, Brazil, Dastilbe crandalli, found on our favorite auction site.

Just curious. How do you know that it's D. crandalli? I'm kinda confused with the Dastilbe species.

Wikipedia says that there is both D. elongatus and D. crandalli.

But Fossilworks only talks about D. elongatus. (Search up "Dastilbe" in the quick search)

Then a Google search for Dastilbe elongatus or for Dastilbe crandalli delivers (in the images) about the same reults.

I'm just curious on what the species is/are, and how to distinguish the two. I have many Dastilbe fish at home, and so far have labeled them all as D. elongatus. Anyone care to enlighten me?

Best regards,

Max

Max Derème

2 hours ago, Max-fossils said:

Just curious. How do you know that it's D. crandalli? I'm kinda confused with the Dastilbe species.

Wikipedia says that there is both D. elongatus and D. crandalli.

But Fossilworks only talks about D. elongatus. (Search up "Dastilbe" in the quick search)

Then a Google search for Dastilbe elongatus or for Dastilbe crandalli delivers (in the images) about the same reults.

I'm just curious on what the species is/are, and how to distinguish the two. I have many Dastilbe fish at home, and so far have labeled them all as D. elongatus. Anyone care to enlighten me?

Best regards,

Max

According to this 2007 Redescription of Dastilbe crandalli, (2007 Dietze), "Dastilbe elongatus is synonymous with the type species."

dastilbec.jpg

Regards, 

• I found this Informative 3

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015