Let's see your latest mailbox score - 2017!!

britishcanuk

This beautiful fish arrived in the mail today; Amyzon gosuites. Realized the gem thanks to @FossilDudeCO

got it for around 25 bucks plus shipping, a steal for such a rare species. Also got two little knightias on it. It's a 7 incher.

IMG_3273.JPG

IMG_3274.JPG

IMG_3281.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Ok so there is an addition of two latest mailbox scores, one arrived just as i was leaving for morocco and the other while i was there. First up is a selection egg shell pieces kindly donated to me by the great @Nimravis again thank you so much and will be putting up an auction to support the forum in return for this overly generous donation  :) (left to right) Maiasaura, saltasaurus and Macroolithus.

And the second was purchased from @holdinghistory a shed Edmontosaurus regalist, thescelosaurus and Richardoestesia isosceles, a very well worth purchase, now i just need a an edmont that isn't a shed tooth :ighappy:

20171021_162150.jpg

20171021_162022.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

I got this rather nice piece of crocodile jaw from the Kem Kem beds. It's the posterior end of the right side of the jaw. It's made up of the articular, angular and surangular bones. Judging from the size it would be a decent size though not gigantic. Definitely not as huge as some of my other Kem Kem croc pieces that. I'm thinking it had a skull of maybe 50 to 60 cm.

s-l16002.jpg

s-l16004.jpg

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

3 hours ago, Haravex said:

Ok so there is an addition of two latest mailbox scores, one arrived just as i was leaving for morocco and the other while i was there. First up is a selection egg shell pieces kindly donated to me by the great @Nimravis again thank you so much and will be putting up an auction to support the forum in return for this overly generous donation  :) (left to right) Maiasaura, saltasaurus and Macroolithus.

Matt, it was my pleasure and I am glad that you like them.

This package just arrived on the day I started a big trip, so I didn't have time to look at it more keenly. This lovely assortment was sent to me from @Fossil-Hound... Lovely shells, teeth, and on the far right a new addition to my trilobite family, the wee yet mighty Perenopsis

IMG_4189_(2).JPG

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

3 hours ago, Kane said:

This package just arrived on the day I started a big trip, so I didn't have time to look at it more keenly. This lovely assortment was sent to me from @Fossil-Hound... Lovely shells, teeth, and on the far right a new addition to my trilobite family, the wee yet mighty Perenopsis

IMG_4189_(2).JPG

The Pectin in the upper top middle is a C. santamaria. These are very rare.  There's also an O. obliquus from Purse State Park in the middle and some H. serra's. Let me know if you need help ID'ing anything and hopefully I'll find some nicer Agnostida (Perenopsis) in a few days! If you need help ID'ing that Perenopsis for your blog I just added one to Collections.

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

4 hours ago, Kane said:

That Busycon (the big gastropod is a Busycon, right?) really got my eye. What a beauty! :wub:  Seems like Jason spoiled you!

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

5 minutes ago, Max-fossils said:

That Busycon (the big gastropod is a Busycon, right?) really got my eye. What a beauty! :wub:  Seems like Jason spoiled you!

He sure did! And I'll certainly welcome any help with IDs. I definitely need to get a Riker mount or something similar to properly display the shark teeth, too!

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

2 minutes ago, Kane said:

He sure did! And I'll certainly welcome any help with IDs. I definitely need to get a Riker mount or something similar to properly display the shark teeth, too!

That would be a good idea. :)

Well, the gastropod does look a lot like a Busycon, but what species I wouldn't be able to say. @MikeR might know, I remember him once talking about Busycon species...

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

10 hours ago, Max-fossils said:

That would be a good idea. :)

Well, the gastropod does look a lot like a Busycon, but what species I wouldn't be able to say. @MikeR might know, I remember him once talking about Busycon species...

I'm not sure what species it is, but it is a Busycon. @Kane the top left is Turritella, then top middle is C. santamaria (super rare), and I can help you ID the teeth later. I think I spotted a hammerhead. The swirly thing center right is an internal mold of a Turritella where the gastropod filled with sand at one point, then the shell was smashed and disintegrated leaving the petrified sand now glass. Those can be found but they aren't that common. I have one that's gigantic but that internal mold is not for trade. :P

Alright well I normally don't post my latest mailbox scores, though I should. I kept seeing @mattbsharks reconstructions and knew I had to pull out all the stops for some of those gorgeous teeth. I sent him a large Phareodus from WY, some Utah trilobites (E. kingii and A. wheeleri), and tomorrow or Wednesday (eight month old daughter was making life very difficult for me tonight) will ship him a box of ammonites from all over the globe, Utah geodes, and New York Eldredgeop rana's from Penn Dixie. Here's what he sent me, a massive six inch C. megalodon with some root restoration along with a bunch of root restored Great White and Mako teeth. Thank you @mattbsharks. You have a gift! I'm going to have to find a nice plaque to mount these all up on.

IMG_1762.JPG

IMG_1764.JPG

IMG_1765.JPG

IMG_1766.JPG

IMG_1767.JPG

IMG_1768.JPG

IMG_1769.JPG

Wow! People are giving those away as gifts/trades?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On 10/15/2017 at 7:23 AM, WhodamanHD said:

This beautiful fish arrived in the mail today; Amyzon gosuites. Realized the gem thanks to @FossilDudeCO

got it for around 25 bucks plus shipping, a steal for such a rare species. Also got two little knightias on it. It's a 7 incher.

Nice, but who put the putty/clay around it?  :headscratch:

10 hours ago, zekky said:

Camptosaurus jaw fragment. 2.5" long. At least four tooth tips visible.

IMGP6764.JPG

Nice! That's awesome.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

13 hours ago, Fossil-Hound said:

Alright well I normally don't post my latest mailbox scores, though I should. I kept seeing @mattbsharks reconstructions and knew I had to pull out all the stops for some of those gorgeous teeth. I sent him a large Phareodus from WY, some Utah trilobites (E. kingii and A. wheeleri), and tomorrow or Wednesday (eight month old daughter was making life very difficult for me tonight) will ship him a box of ammonites from all over the globe, Utah geodes, and New York Eldredgeop rana's from Penn Dixie. Here's what he sent me, a massive six inch C. megalodon with some root restoration along with a bunch of root restored Great White and Mako teeth. Thank you @mattbsharks. You have a gift! I'm going to have to find a nice plaque to mount these all up on.

IMG_1762.JPG

IMG_1764.JPG

IMG_1765.JPG

IMG_1766.JPG

IMG_1767.JPG

IMG_1768.JPG

IMG_1769.JPG

@Fossil-Hound

My what big teeth you have!

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

Been slammed at work at the same time I'm trying to take care of MrsSA2 after she had a fight with gravity. There is now light at the end of the tunnel, though yet to be seen if it is another oncoming train!

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

Today I received a 5.24in megalodon tooth from a seller in SC. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Earlier this month I received pterosaur teeth, a spinosaur tooth, ammonities, and belenmites from @JohnBrewer

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

10 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

Wow! People are giving those away as gifts/trades?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nice, but who put the putty/clay around it?  :headscratch:

This fossil (which must’ve been collected a while ago) was collected at Lake gosuites, so some layers are delicate and flaky. The plaster was added to add strength and prevent breakage, it was done rather unprofessionally, as you can see the marks from the tarp or plastic bag it set in. I’m thinking it may have been added in the field. For me it doesn’t take away from the piece at all, I’m a sucker for a sucker no matter what it’s set in!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

2 hours ago, SailingAlongToo said:

Been slammed at work at the same time I'm trying to take care of MrsSA2 after she had a fight with gravity. There is now light at the end of the tunnel, though yet to be seen if it is another oncoming train!

Take care of that lady! Hope she's getting better so she can get out there and start looking for more beautiful Ecphora's. :wub: Have you been out on any hunts lately?

2 hours ago, thelivingdead531 said:

Today I received a 5.24in megalodon tooth from a seller in SC. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Earlier this month I received pterosaur teeth, a spinosaur tooth, ammonities, and belenmites from @JohnBrewer

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

@thelivingdead531 very nice! That Meg appears to have come from the Atlantic coast off of South or North Carolina. I have one with similar colors. Very nice.

@Fossil-Hound According to the listing it came from SC after being found by their divers. I loved this tooth for the color, size, and it having most of the enamel intact. 

25 minutes ago, thelivingdead531 said:

@Fossil-Hound According to the listing it came from SC after being found by their divers. I loved this tooth for the color, size, and it having most of the enamel intact. 

Indeed it came from a dive. It's a gorgeous tooth. I've noticed that most of the teeth from deep dives don't have serrations but they have beautiful color and shape. Excellent specimen.

@Fossil-Hound there doesn't seem to be visible serations due to the worn condition but the sides still seem sharp (to the touch). Most of the enamel seems to be present, so I'm happy with that. I love the color and size, and for the price I paid I'm happy with it (I at least think it was a good deal lol).