Let's see your latest mailbox score - 2017!!

britishcanuk

You are right, it is a really great colour and very nice tooth to add to your collection or in fact anybody's  .:envy: Great buy.

cheers Bobby 

19 hours ago, Fossil-Hound said:

Alright well I normally don't post my latest mailbox scores, though I should. I kept seeing @mattbsharks reconstructions and knew I had to pull out all the stops for some of those gorgeous teeth. I sent him a large Phareodus from WY, some Utah trilobites (E. kingii and A. wheeleri), and tomorrow or Wednesday (eight month old daughter was making life very difficult for me tonight) will ship him a box of ammonites from all over the globe, Utah geodes, and New York Eldredgeop rana's from Penn Dixie. Here's what he sent me, a massive six inch C. megalodon with some root restoration along with a bunch of root restored Great White and Mako teeth. Thank you @mattbsharks. You have a gift! I'm going to have to find a nice plaque to mount these all up on.

IMG_1762.JPG

IMG_1764.JPG

IMG_1765.JPG

IMG_1766.JPG

IMG_1767.JPG

IMG_1768.JPG

IMG_1769.JPG

I'm so glad you like them Jason! I will also post in this topic soon. Thanks again for a wonderful trade, and here's to many more!

11 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

This fossil (which must’ve been collected a while ago) was collected at Lake gosuites, so some layers are delicate and flaky. The plaster was added to add strength and prevent breakage, it was done rather unprofessionally, as you can see the marks from the tarp or plastic bag it set in. I’m thinking it may have been added in the field. For me it doesn’t take away from the piece at all, I’m a sucker for a sucker no matter what it’s set in!

It's OK, as nothing was done to the actual fossil or matrix.. I would probably take it too!

12 hours ago, mattbsharks said:

I'm so glad you like them Jason! I will also post in this topic soon. Thanks again for a wonderful trade, and here's to many more!

What a great deal! I'm sure you're both very happy.

I was browsing our favorite auction house and just couldn't resist ordering this tooth, which just arrived today, since it was going for a very reasonable price and I'm starting to develop a taste for shark teeth. Palaeocarcharodon orientalis from the phosphate plateau by Kouribga, Morocco.

P68a.jpg.ca4d5cb7d8d2438e4ed895e926936d4a.jpg

P68b.jpg.3be6959a8217eb6c04ba2f3fddf54b95.jpg

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Just found this smal eurypterus remipes head in my mailbox, the white splotches on it are less noticeable in real life, it’s from the little bumps coming off on the negative which was not included. Got it for cheap.

A67D35B0-BCBC-43E6-96F1-566A017967D2.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 hour ago, LordTrilobite said:

Nice Eurypterus!

11 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

Eurypterus is on my list nice buy.

Thanks to both of you! I thought the same thing when I saw it for sale!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Just opened the package for these little guys. They're early meraspid (second growth stage) trilobites, Ordovician in age, from the Bromide Formation of Carter County, Oklahoma. Only about 1 mm wide - they're really that small.

Taxonomy:

Class Trilobita

Order Asaphida

Superfamily Trinucleioidea

Family Raphiophoridae

Genus Lonchodomas

20171106_161007.jpg

Regards, Jason

"Trilobites survived for a total of three hundred million years, almost the whole duration of the Palaeozoic era: who are we johnny-come-latelies to label them as either ‘primitive’ or ‘unsuccessful’? Men have so far survived half a per cent as long."  - Richard Fortey, Trilobite: Eyewitness to Evolution.

@Douvilleiceras  very nice! I think asaphids Are probably my favorite trilos. Are those the whole trilos?

Happy hunting,

Mason

4 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

@Douvilleiceras  very nice! I think asaphids Are probably my favorite trilos. Are those the whole trilos?

The Asaphida are quite amazing, and several of my favorite species are members of that order (can't wait to get an eye-stalked Asaphus kowalewskii). These little ones are complete, they're just enrolled so you can't see the pygidum.

P.S. Asaphid refers only to the Family Asaphidae. These are raphiophorids. 

Regards, Jason

"Trilobites survived for a total of three hundred million years, almost the whole duration of the Palaeozoic era: who are we johnny-come-latelies to label them as either ‘primitive’ or ‘unsuccessful’? Men have so far survived half a per cent as long."  - Richard Fortey, Trilobite: Eyewitness to Evolution.

43 minutes ago, Douvilleiceras said:

The Asaphida are quite amazing, and several of my favorite species are members of that order (can't wait to get an eye-stalked Asaphus kowalewskii). These little ones are complete, they're just enrolled so you can't see the pygidum.

P.S. Asaphid refers only to the Family Asaphidae. These are raphiophorids. 

I Meant asaphoids then!:P

Happy hunting,

Mason

I just received @Haravex's package that I won on the forum auction a few days ago, and can I just say "wow!"? It is a spectacular collection! Before I officially opened the box I wanted to get a picture of it and my dog Ellie, she was upset she didn't get to eat the postman. Then I slowly and carefully unwrapped my goodies. I guess I didn't know what to expect but I was quite surprised at how large everything was! I'm just glad it arrived on my day off from work so my husband doesn't kill me for buying more fossils! :ighappy:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3

1 hour ago, thelivingdead531 said:

I just received @Haravex's package that I won on the forum auction a few days ago, and can I just say "wow!"? It is a spectacular collection! Before I officially opened the box I wanted to get a picture of it and my dog Ellie, she was upset she didn't get to eat the postman. Then I slowly and carefully unwrapped my goodies. I guess I didn't know what to expect but I was quite surprised at how large everything was! I'm just glad it arrived on my day off from work so my husband doesn't kill me for buying more fossils! :ighappy:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Where do the croc teeth and scute come from? Any idea on species?

Nice lot!

"Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another."
-Romans 14:19

Most of that red material looks like it came from the Kem Kem beds. So maybe that croc material is Elosuchus or Hamadasuchus? They get pretty big.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

A very welcome, temporary respite from heavy essay grading (it's that time of year :() came in the post recently from the kind and generous @Nimravis. Members might recall his recent trip to Georgia and the Conausaga Fm where he managed to find a lot of Aphelaspis brachyphasis. Along with a few lovely specimens of a new specimen for my collection of bugs, he also gifted me with some matrix to play with. And perhaps it is a blessing in disguise that I don't have hardly any time to spare this month due to work, as it means I'll have some rock to split when the snows come. :hammer01:

Here are some pictures of the already showing trilobites that hardly do these justice, and I suspect there will be more (and maybe one of those tiny, uncommon agnostids) once I have a chance to play with the matrix. I suspect some of these will look even more spectacular once I can set aside the time to photograph them under magnification. The smooth, slick feeling of the matrix is quite interesting, as it feels like soapstone!

IMG_4228.JPG

IMG_4229.JPG

IMG_4233.JPG

IMG_4234.JPG

• I found this Informative 5

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

6 hours ago, thelivingdead531 said:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Great collection and really good value too.  I also keep my fossils purchases under my wife’s  radar . Not like she minds too much just better that way.;)

sweet dog too.

cheers Bobby 

7 hours ago, Kane said:

A very welcome, temporary respite from heavy essay grading (it's that time of year :() came in the post recently from the kind and generous @Nimravis. Members might recall his recent trip to Georgia and the Conausaga Fm where he managed to find a lot of Aphelaspis brachyphasis. Along with a few lovely specimens of a new specimen for my collection of bugs, he also gifted me with some matrix to play with. And perhaps it is a blessing in disguise that I don't have hardly any time to spare this month due to work, as it means I'll have some rock to split when the snows come. :hammer01:

Here are some pictures of the already showing trilobites that hardly do these justice, and I suspect there will be more (and maybe one of those tiny, uncommon agnostids) once I have a chance to play with the matrix. I suspect some of these will look even more spectacular once I can set aside the time to photograph them under magnification. The smooth, slick feeling of the matrix is quite interesting, as it feels like soapstone!

Lucky you! (and generous him)

10 hours ago, thelivingdead531 said:

The first step is admitting you have a problem!  ;)

Funny, I'm usually surprised how small everything is, but that's ok - fits better in my limited space.

21 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

The first step is admitting you have a problem!  ;)

Funny, I'm usually surprised how small everything is, but that's ok - fits better in my limited space.

I do have a problem. My problem is that I'm trying to figure out the best and coolest ways to display many new fossils I've received and found. :D

I mostly have smaller fossils so it was nice to get a few larger ones. I guess I just need to expand from the one display cabinet that everything is in to the rest of the house. 'Sorry hubby, your game room just became my fossil museum!' :rofl:

I found a great site for buying cheaper fossils two days ago and went a little crazy ( although everything was very reasonably priced so I stayed within budget, almost bought a diprotodon partial tooth for 15 bucks! Sadly out of stock and will remain that way) and I got a package today with a homotelus bromidensis, a glyptotherium scute, a dimetrodon limbatus caudal vert,and a chunk of Harding sandstone with astragalus plate hits in it. All under fifty bucks.

IMG_0098.JPG

IMG_0099.JPG

IMG_0096.JPG

IMG_0111.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

Happy hunting,

Mason

Three new trilobites for my collection arrived today from Bolivia. Quite lovely, decent quality, and full.

Top: Malvinella buddeae

Middle: Eldredgeia eocryphaeus (+ impression)

Bottom: Eldredgeia venustus (+impression).

The E. venustus has its tail tucked in behind, and looks like a slipper when viewed from the side. It is a little over 2 inches long. 

IMG_4246.JPG

• I found this Informative 4

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

And just when I thought the mailbox would start to become unproductive, I dug around in it some more and I found a package from @silverphoenix! What a great buy! You can see pictures of insect in amber, but there’s nothing quite like seeing it for yourself. These six beautiful insects come from the oligocene of Mexico. Bad pictures are due to my current set up of iPad, iPhone flashlight, jewelers loupe, and white plastic as to not blind myself. I’m getting a usb microscope so hopefully I’ll get some better later. the pictures do no justice to their amazing preservation and quality.

9C067D20-C5F9-4F42-A15E-A40F2ACA0BB2.jpeg

1DFCB178-7B9D-4F2E-96B0-0BA06980C050.jpeg

02FF8D6A-BC92-4922-B1E6-3F9D9DA21B2D.jpeg

B8B35C45-5181-42C9-AF15-293CBB57B8A2.jpeg

B941B026-AAF8-474D-9908-9C3F0FB17C66.jpeg

522EB79E-00EC-4B7D-B64A-69D7154F6C6E.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2

Happy hunting,

Mason

Today I received a medium Priority box in the mail from @Sacha . John is selling some nice micro matrix and I purchased a bag of Merritt Island, Florida (Pleistocene) and a bag of Withlacoochee River, Florida (Eocene). Going to have some fun over the winter searching for goodies. If you like micros, contact John before I buy it all- lol.

9B0D9DD8-7ACB-4C13-B242-4D7376CB29C6.thumb.jpeg.14237dc2d35bab1bcf69125c5ba2569a.jpeg01A530A6-CB4E-4F83-86BD-421EB0BD694B.thumb.jpeg.eb380dd21a5fd3d88e14fec628040d5e.jpeg866C8E80-E95F-4CA0-867E-AFA09253B7F9.thumb.jpeg.ab0c55759c6b95e498f977a7233f258f.jpeg