Let's see your latest mailbox score - 2017!!

britishcanuk

On 12/22/2017 at 4:16 PM, Nimravis said:

Today when I arrived home I had a package that came super quick from across the pond.

Here are the items:

Nice haul from Morocco quite the variety and good mix

1 hour ago, LiamL said:

It's finally arrived! My Mosasaur jaw from Morroco! Thank you again @RJB

If anyone can ID the species i'd love it! 

Nice jaw @LordTrilobite can possibly help with an ID

• I found this Informative 1

On 12/27/2017 at 5:11 PM, Troodon said:

Nice jaw @LordTrilobite can possibly help with an ID

Well it's definitely the back half of a left right dentary. I'd say this could be Prognathodon sp. or Eremiasaurus heterodontus.

Edit: correction. It's a right dentary, not left.

• I found this Informative 4

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

2 hours ago, Troodon said:

Nice haul from Morocco quite the variety and good mix

Thanks- I was bored and just started bidding. This is stuff that I really don’t collect, but what the heck.

I got me a round rock, and no, its not a dinosaur egg.  :)   A good freind of mine sent this to me cause ive been very good to him and he reciprocated.  Also, if this guy says its a good crab, there is a 99.9% chance that it really is a good crab!!!  I wont be able to get to preppin this thing out till Febuary but im very excited about this concretion!   Gunna be real fun this one!!! 

RB

DSCN1356.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

On 12/26/2017 at 7:49 PM, Pagurus said:

:envy:     Oooh, that's an awesome starfish sea star specimen! (I got so tired of first-graders correcting me anytime I said, "starfish", that I finally gave in and called those beautiful critters sea stars. ...

When did this change? I've always called them starfish too but never been corrected.

Starfish has always been a misnomer. They are not fish as we all know here, but rather part of the echinoid family.

Unfortunately, as kids we seem to get the term starfish implanted into our concense.

A sea star would be a better common name for them.

Better tell wikipedia - 'sea star' redirects to 'starfish'. Everyone knows they aren't in the same group as 'fish', and they have been called starfish for centuries.

What about jellyfish and crawfish?

Honestly, I think people should just call them whatever they're comfortable with. There's nothing "wrong" with calling them starfish, or calling them sea stars. They're not fish, they're not stars. They aren't defined by their names. I always wanted the kids to appreciate the wonder of the world around them. The name wasn't important. It annoyed me a little that some science educators insisted that "sea star" was the only correct term. Sometimes the language gets in the way of learning. I ended up using both terms with the kids. When I thought about it I called them sea stars, when I was more concerned with pointing out the eyes at the end of their arms and the amazing hydraulic tube feet I often called them starfish. Times change though. Whales were called whale-fish for a long time. The language changed. It will keep changing. Slowly.

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

35 minutes ago, Pagurus said:

eyes at the end of their arms

Wow...I didn't know that! I knew they were brainless (in the conventional sense). Now I've got to go google starfish/sea star eyes! I can't wait to share this with the kiddies I work with. So cool! 

3 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

Better tell wikipedia - 'sea star' redirects to 'starfish'. Everyone knows they aren't in the same group as 'fish', and they have been called starfish for centuries.

What about jellyfish and crawfish?

Crawfish?  Where I come from we call them fresh water lobsters. :rofl:

Crayfish, crawfish, crawdad, freshwater lobsters, mountain lobsters, mudbugs or yabbies.

They all taste good fried in butter with a dab of garlic! Yummy!

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Yabbies, I like that one. Is that Strine? (Australian)? ;)

'Freshwater lobsters' is a bit long, and can't call it a mudbug as it's not a true bug. That brings up a lot of insects and possibly other things that are called such-and-such-bug, but aren't true bugs. This could be a huge can of worms - so to speak...

16 hours ago, caldigger said:

They are not fish as we all know here, but rather part of the echinoid family

Interestingly enough I’ve looked at one under my microscope and can confirm they’re not stars either!

The mailman just delivered a theropod toe bone from the Kem Kem so trying to ID it.  Needs a little cleanup and fill, I wish the Moroccans would not try to repair these bones just harder to undo what they did than fix it from scratch. 

Shot some quick pictures.  I bought it because it was a little different, on the proximal end there was a big lip on one side and a smaller one on the other. Its a little distorted but okay.   Isolated bones are super hard to ID since there is very little comparative material around.   I happened to have a reconstructed Spinosaurid foot and it seems to be some sort of a match to Digit II, Phalanx 2 but will continue to look at others.    

5a47e2a215c41_Screenshot_20170227-131622copy.thumb.jpg.655d70ed649f52e5b7447c939c794f5b.jpg 

20171230_112805.thumb.jpg.6e286ac25405325a8ad78f750329cd36.jpg20171230_112818.thumb.jpg.843c700b3dcb67b3e889f67da1b6b9ea.jpg20171230_112847.thumb.jpg.e76ce64c7ef7fd85b52fc846b6b20f60.jpg

20171230_112832.jpg

• I found this Informative 9

Theropod toe bone. 

IMG_2144.thumb.JPG.bea0c840f9bb49b4f298e12b7a6e90af.JPG

From Hell Creek, and measures 3.5 inches in length. 

Ive no idea what it's from

More pictures to follow 

Nick

On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 5:00 PM, caldigger said:

Starfish has always been a misnomer. They are not fish as we all know here, but rather part of the echinoid family.

Unfortunately, as kids we seem to get the term starfish implanted into our concense.

A sea star would be a better common name for them.

Hmmm...  Here's a clip from the fourth edition of Vertebrate Paleontology by Michael J. Benton from 2015.  You know you have to believe it because Amazon wants $67.65 for it.

Starfish.JPG.6c725f280a0dab26c6a8cc2baae4b344.JPG

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Let's see your latest mailbox score - 2017!!
  • Fossildude19 locked this topic
  • Fossildude19 locked and featured this topic