Let's see your latest mailbox score - 2017!!

britishcanuk

7 hours ago, LordTrilobite said:

Looks like it could be a tendon.

That would be very cool! I don't have a lot of time to work on it so I won't have it fully exposed for a week or two. I do plan to post the results of the stuff I find in the "Trips" section even though technically it wasn't a trip!

• I found this Informative 1

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

:popcorn: John

I had a friend once, but the wheels fell off. Sad, very sad. - Nightwing

Today, I had the great pleasure to open this little beauty: a cave bear molar!!!

I received it in a trade with @Fossil Claw, and the package arrived pretty fast!

This is the first mammal tooth in my collection, therefore I love it a lot.

Best regards,

Max

IMG_8523.JPG

IMG_8524.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

I got this sweet C. angustidens tooth in the mail today. It's from the Chipola River. Jackson co. Florida.

IMG_1816.JPG

IMG_1817.JPG

• I found this Informative 7
  • Enjoyed 1

Sweet tooth Russ! Well here is my latest mailbox find. I got these trilos for trade with @Wrangellian. The first is a Peusdogygites latimarginatus from Ontario. The second is Ellipsocephalus hoffi from Czech Republic. I am very happy, I think they are cool.

Dave

20170313_221058.jpg

20170313_221116.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Here is my latest mailbox score!  We have 21 inches of snow on the ground here, so I might not see the mail carrier for a week!  :(

Rooted Allosaurus fragilis tooth, Morrison Formation, Skull Creek Quarry, Moffat County, Colorado.

IMG_0463.thumb.JPG.6a571218ad1fae37027f08d664653daa.JPG

• I found this Informative 8

Susan rooted Allo teeth are very cool super addition to your collection.  Most have been worked on yours looks great

2 hours ago, Troodon said:

Susan rooted Allo teeth are very cool super addition to your collection.  Most have been worked on yours looks great

Thanks so much!    :ighappy::)

On 3/14/2017 at 10:19 AM, britishcanuk said:

Nice scores! Where about in Ontario was the Peusdogygites found?

Hey Russ I will have to look on the label when I get home I can't remember if it even states where.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

On 3/3/2017 at 6:40 PM, JohnBrian said:

This is my latest from a month or so ago. I purchased some Lance Formation matrix off the big auction site. Not to horribly expensive. First pic shows the chunks. They were bigger but I have (literally) broken them down into smaller pieces. I have about 2 quarts more of smaller bits in a container. I tried using vinegar on it but it didn't seem to be doing much. I have some muriatic acid but I am not currently inclined to use it on the matrix for fear of damaging the fossils. I can't find any hydrogen peroxide anywhere in town.

DSCN2366.JPG

DSCN2368.JPG

DSCN2369.JPG

DSCN2372.JPG

I have collected from many Lance Formations bone bed sites like this stuff.  They can be very rich and have some great fossils.  But acid won't do anything to it.   I have never tried freeze/thaw.  I usually use the small taps with a hammer then examine every new surface.  Learn to recognize the chunkosaurs (useless things) and the good stuff.  You should find numerous gar scales and they are often very delicate and not worth the effort of putting back together.  learn to recognize them as well... diamond shaped, flat with enamel on one side.  Use some sort of magnifier to eventually prep these things.  Many of these little things will look best if left in the matrix, just expose them.  I see you are using some sort of glue.  That is good.  fossils in this hard Lance matrix have a lot of microcracks in them.   

The last piece you have labeled twig or partial bone is an ossified tendon from probably a hadrosaur, although ceratopsians had them too.   The chunk in the photo above it on the left might be a hadrosaur tooth.  these are common as well and come in all sports of weird shapes.  The 'trike tooth?' in the photo above looks like a hadrosaur tooth... no ridge at the base.   

• I found this Informative 3

6 hours ago, Susan from PA said:

Here is my latest mailbox score!  We have 21 inches of snow on the ground here, so I might not see the mail carrier for a week!  :(

Rooted Allosaurus fragilis tooth, Morrison Formation, Skull Creek Quarry, Moffat County, Colorado.

That is an amazing fossil, nice score!

2 hours ago, jpc said:

I have collected from many Lance Formations bone bed sites like this stuff.  They can be very rich and have some great fossils.  But acid won't do anything to it.   I have never tried freeze/thaw.  I usually use the small taps with a hammer then examine every new surface.  Learn to recognize the chunkosaurs (useless things) and the good stuff.  You should find numerous gar scales and they are often very delicate and not worth the effort of putting back together.  learn to recognize them as well... diamond shaped, flat with enamel on one side.  Use some sort of magnifier to eventually prep these things.  Many of these little things will look best if left in the matrix, just expose them.  I see you are using some sort of glue.  That is good.  fossils in this hard Lance matrix have a lot of microcracks in them.   

The last piece you have labeled twig or partial bone is an ossified tendon from probably a hadrosaur, although ceratopsians had them too.   The chunk in the photo above it on the left might be a hadrosaur tooth.  these are common as well and come in all sports of weird shapes.  The 'trike tooth?' in the photo above looks like a hadrosaur tooth... no ridge at the base.   

Cool! I never thought of hadrosaur teeth. I had read that Trike teeth were very abundant so I made the erroneous conclusion it was a trike. 

I just started a week ago using a dissecting microscope to "get out the goodies" without damaging them. I was previously using a jeweler's visor so I was saving all the little tiny bits of dark brown material. I looked at some of it through the microscope the other day & found a tiny tooth tip that's smaller than the head of a pin. I also found an almost complete pinhead size tooth (don't have a clue of what it belonged to) in the matrix!

I also have found the following two bits:

Baenid (I think) turtle plastron piece. This piece is about 8mm long.

Baenid PLastron.JPG

Maybe another specie turtle plastron or a bit of a shell or ????

DSCN2379.JPG

On 3/15/2017 at 8:26 AM, Susan from PA said:

IMG_0463.thumb.JPG.6a571218ad1fae37027f08d664653daa.JPG

Excellent tooth!

Here is my latest score- a nice 4 1/8" by 3 1/2" petrified log from Zimbabwe- this is a very showy piece.

IMG_0737.thumb.JPG.93d63553c2d449ad05a7084866c5ae90.JPG

IMG_0739.thumb.JPG.d7930160b01e41929a279e6d8b0b3ccc.JPG

IMG_0740.thumb.JPG.4b8d0dae615040774fb23992ec324b76.JPG

• I found this Informative 4

On 3/24/2017 at 11:03 AM, DinoMike said:

Do fossil-related BOOKS count?  :D 

58d5353cc5cfe_blackcatmountainbook.thumb.jpg.899cb12d31780b590f4ca12941d2372f.jpg

In my heavily biased opinion as a bibliophile, yes, books certainly count! :)

Looks like a fantastic book to curl up in bed with on a stormy night, dreaming of the next hunt.

• I Agree 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

On 3/15/2017 at 4:38 PM, JohnBrian said:

Maybe another specie turtle plastron or a bit of a shell or ????

Looks like a fish scale, to me. ;) 

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

6 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

Me too.

4 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

Looks like a fish scale, to me. ;) 

Thanks!

On 3/22/2017 at 8:13 PM, Nimravis said:

Here is my latest score- a nice 4 1/8" by 3 1/2" petrified log from Zimbabwe- this is a very showy piece.

IMG_0737.thumb.JPG.93d63553c2d449ad05a7084866c5ae90.JPG  IMG_0739.thumb.JPG.d7930160b01e41929a279e6d8b0b3ccc.JPG  IMG_0740.thumb.JPG.4b8d0dae615040774fb23992ec324b76.JPG

Really really nice! I love pet wood.

• I found this Informative 2

For me fossil collecting is not just about the understanding of life though the filter of evolution. It is also about the collector . Collectors are Artists and their collections are the masterpieces of their artistic practice. A life's work is to be had by placing the right objects on a shelve harmoniously. Bobby

Here are a couple recent acquisitions that I received from @32fordboy. A couple pig teeth from Florida and a beautiful 4 1/2" Araucaria Cone from Argentina.

IMG_0930.thumb.JPG.7193444e304cb8e50c3e2a3cc21fc15a.JPG

IMG_0904.thumb.JPG.2e93cfc55d4d3f2edd6fd065f0fac602.JPG

• Enjoyed 1