Let's see your latest mailbox score - 2017!!

britishcanuk

I just received my latest fossil in the mail today. It is a 19" lower right jaw of a Woolly Rhino (Coelodonta antiquitatis) from the Pleistocene of China.

IMG_0948.thumb.JPG.c0afaf7a777ef84e69d137a062335dab.JPG

IMG_0950.thumb.JPG.2d2bc7e162141d6fc47d73c9f38d0ce7.JPG

• Enjoyed 1

Some beauties posted, thanks for sharing! Here's three little Isurus praecursor from the late Eocene Dakhla in the Western Sahara. 

IMG_1834.JPG

On 2017-03-25 at 3:50 AM, Bobby Rico said:

For me fossil collecting is not just about the understanding of life though the filter of evolution. It is also about the collector . Collectors are Artists and their collections are the masterpieces of their artistic practice. A life's work is to be had by placing the right objects on a shelve harmoniously. Bobby

Never thought about it this way before - interesting idea.

• I found this Informative 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my last add to my collection I recently received in my mailbox. Permian Cephalopods from Kazakhstan. Lovely isn't it ? ;-)

20170412_194703.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

On 4/12/2017 at 2:06 PM, Nothos said:

Here is my last add to my collection I recently received in my mailbox. Permian Cephalopods from Kazakhstan. Lovely isn't it ? ;-)

20170412_194703.jpg

Now that is very cool- thanks for sharing.

• I found this Informative 2

Very nice! And so is all the stuff other people have shared! :dinothumb:

• I found this Informative 1

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

:popcorn: John

I had a friend once, but the wheels fell off. Sad, very sad. - Nightwing

On 25/03/2017 at 10:50 AM, Bobby Rico said:

Postman always knocks twice . This is what I got yesterday a bargain form across the pond. A nice fossil crab originally from Tasmania I think it is Macrophthalmus latreillei   but  can't be sure not had time to read up on it yet. Now placed in a nice spot in my collection Bobby

IMG_0449.JPG

• I found this Informative 7
  • Enjoyed 1

On 3/15/2017 at 6:26 AM, Susan from PA said:

Here is my latest mailbox score!  We have 21 inches of snow on the ground here, so I might not see the mail carrier for a week!  :(

Rooted Allosaurus fragilis tooth, Morrison Formation, Skull Creek Quarry, Moffat County, Colorado.

IMG_0463.thumb.JPG.6a571218ad1fae37027f08d664653daa.JPG

I prepped that tooth! Enjoy!

• Enjoyed 1

IMG_7543.thumb.PNG.b6e15fa67160c22b6d742e33ab745107.PNG

Just received 4 theropod teeth from the Aguja Formation in Texas. Not sure what dinosaur they're from but the big fragment is definitely Tyrannosaur.

A couple things I recently received - I broke one of my own rules to get these (don't buy anything without accurate location data) but I couldn't resist. And they weren't completely devoid of location info, I hope there's enough to go by in narrowing it down. I'm still waiting for replies from the sellers, but in meantime, if anyone here can help with narrowing the locations down I'll appreciate it.

Brachiopod, Mickwitzia occidens, Lower Cambrian, Chambless Limestone, California:

How many Lower Cambrian brachs have you seen? First one in my collection!

Would this be from the Marble Mtns, or are there other locations where the Chambless Fm outcrops?

EDIT: Just heard back from the seller, this one is indeed from the Marble Mtns, "just North of Cadiz". Mid-Dyeran stage, above the Latham Shale and below the Oncolite layer that the Marble Mtns are named for. That's the kind of data I like to have.

Mickwitzia.thumb.jpg.2da7c810442aecc718bc21a7ac0c445d.jpg

Trilobite, Symphysops sp., M. Devonian, Morocco (Where in Morocco, what formation?)  EDIT: Seller got back to me saying they did not know any more than 'Morocco' for this one. @piranha?

You can see the compound eyes on this one, on the sides of the cephalon (very small and hard to photo):

Symphysops.thumb.jpg.866545d273066fae9153d56473c1a678.jpgSymphysops-cro.jpg.161e35b7ab6b62d8965074b1688275f9.jpg

Edited by Wrangellian
additional info
  • I found this Informative 3

1 hour ago, TNCollector said:

@Wrangellian Nice brach. I found one in some Cambrian stone about 15 minutes from where I live. I didn't know that they were rare!

I don't know how rare they are but I don't see them very often available. You certainly see a lot more from the Ordovician on.

This chub/angy was waiting for me in the mailbox yesterday. Little nick on the tip, but otherwise pretty nice.

cheers!

IMG_2187.JPG

IMG_2188.JPG

Been lurking and waiting on a decent meg on the larger end of the spectrum.  Something I couldn't normally get where I am hunting ... and this one popped up.  About 5.3" with some fantastic color a nice classic blue-grey and serrated.  It's a river find and was found about 25 years ago in South Carolina by Matty Swilp, so it has been above the waves for awhile now. I wonder if he is on the forum ?

02_ACERiverBasin_SC_Meg_042017.thumb.jpg.f34665f8b42ab78891ef30d97afadc91.jpg

Cheers,

Brett

This one was on my list for a long long time , finally found it at a reasonnable price a few weeks ago ...

Bothriolepis canadensis from  Miguasha ,Québec .

photo.JPG

• I found this Informative 8

Correction for my post above: Symphysops is Ordovician, not Devonian - I should have recognized the rock, but I went with what the seller said.  :blush:

So I assume its Fezouata Fm.

I bought these three pieces and just got them in the mail. All of them are from the Cretaceous Kem Kem Beds from Morocco.

A partial fish skull with a few articulated vertebrae. An Elosuchus squamosal? and a piece that was sold as part of a croc skull. But I think it might be something else, so that's pretty cool. It doesn't look like croc to me.

Fish skull with articulated vertebrae.

kemkemhaul01.jpg

Croc skull part. Postorbital?

kemkemhaul02.jpg

Skull part.

kemkemhaul03.jpg

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Here is my lastest mailbox score, thanks to @RJB 

5 nice Eocene Equitalastrobus Fruit Pods from Morocco.

IMG_2105.thumb.JPG.957182bbe883af85a79eb05249b58834.JPG

Fully rooted Allosaurus fragilis tooth collected from the Bone Cabin Quarry. 

I owned it for a few years, then sold it to a friend in 2002. Now, 15 years later, I've managed to get it back in my collection. Part of a recent push on my part to re-aquire some of my old and very nice fossils. 

IMG_1329.JPG

IMG_1331.JPG

IMG_1332.JPG

IMG_1333.JPG

IMG_1335.JPG

IMG_1337.JPG

• I found this Informative 7

On 5/3/2017 at 0:02 AM, hxmendoza said:

Fully rooted Allosaurus fragilis tooth collected from the Bone Cabin Quarry. 

I owned it for a few years, then sold it to a friend in 2002. Now, 15 years later, I've managed to get it back in my collection. Part of a recent push on my part to re-aquire some of my old and very nice fossils. 

Crikey! What a beauty!

Once yours, always yours.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

On 3/15/2017 at 6:26 AM, Susan from PA said:

Here is my latest mailbox score!  We have 21 inches of snow on the ground here, so I might not see the mail carrier for a week!  :(

Rooted Allosaurus fragilis tooth, Morrison Formation, Skull Creek Quarry, Moffat County, Colorado.

IMG_0463.thumb.JPG.6a571218ad1fae37027f08d664653daa.JPG

Beautiful tooth Susan!

I'm always on the prowl for good deals on Craiglist and was surprised to find this large Knightia for sale from a lady for a whopping $10. She lived south of DC so I wasn't willing to drive down there (hate traffic) so she shipped it up to me for $6 which I gladly payed. In total this purchase was $16 and this is my second purchased Knightia. The first one is smaller and hanging up in the bathroom in a wooden frame. The seller had no idea what it was so I gave her an identification. When asked where she acquired it she said it was gifted to her from a friend. :rofl:

knightia.JPG

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda