Is this a nanotyrannus tooth or dakotaraptor tooth ?

lone5wolf117

Over the past number of months I've seen a number of Dakotaraptor teeth offered for sale that were questionable or hard to diagnose, and not unexpected, its not easy for even professionals.  It's important to recognize that shape alone does not determine an ID of a theropod tooth it's a starting point, it's all about SERRATIONS, SERRATIONS and SERRATIONS.     

For those offering one for sale they need to provide you the following information that makes them believe it's one.   If they don't walk away from the sale.   If the serrations are worn or not present walk away from the sale.  Some teeth you will not be able to diagnose walk away from the sale.  Most IMPORTANT don't believe the seller get the evidence to make that call yourself or post it here in the forum.

These two are a must:

- First they need to provide you the midline serrations count of both carinae, they need to be different with the distal side being fewer so that means the serrations are larger on that side.  

- Second a closeup picture of the serrations is needed, see pictures.   A chisel shaped serrate means it's a Tyrannosaur and a rounded serrate is a Dromaeosaurid. 

Tyrannosaurid:  Nanotyrannus 

post-10935-0-22627000-1469295026.thumb.jpg.719b8982410ba9a18a6c8ddbb6634ee6.jpg

Dromaeosaurid: Dakotaraptor 

post-10935-0-09832100-1469294224.jpg.462bc560dfd5b41e63e07b8ca0bf5d1c.jpg

There are other features that need to be considered:

Third - The cheek teeth (excludes incisor or premaxillary) of Dakotaraptor for the most part are very compressed and symmetrical. You do not see the twist on the carina of the Mesial side that creates the D shape on Nano Teeth.

The tooth shown by Lone5wolf looks on the surface like Nanotyrannus but until I see closeup picture of the serrations and a serration count, thats a preliminary call.  Not easy but it's costly to make a mistake and if a seller wants the sale they need to do a bit more work.

• I found this Informative 9

It does look like a fine tooth regardless of the species.:drool:

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.