confirm big brook Ischyrhiza Mira rostral tooth

brad hinkelman

Geez what a shame it is broke! That would have been a monster!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

2 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

Geez what a shame it is broke! That would have been a monster!

yea I know,,  don't know if they are common that size at big brook....cool find though reguardless

There were two Ischyrhiza species in the occurrences of New Jersey, apart of Ankistrorhyncus major, of the Maastrichtian sclerorhynchid swafishes : I. mira and I. avonicola, according to

J. Kriwet, K.Kussius. 2001. Paleobiology and Paleobiogeography of slerorhynchid sawfishes (Chondrichthyes, Batomorphii). Revista Espanola de Paleontologia nr extraordinario:35-46

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

I myself have only found very small ones, and only one in pristine condition. Then again I don't get out there multiple times a week like some people. (Hint, hint). I have seen pictures of a couple that size coming from there, but not a whole one.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

2 minutes ago, abyssunder said:

There were two Ischyrhiza species in the occurrences of New Jersey, apart of Ankistrorhyncus major, of the Maastrichtian sclerorhynchid swafishes : I. mira and I. avonicola, according to

J. Kriwet, K.Kussius. 2001.  Paleobiology and Paleobiogeography of slerorhynchid sawfishes (Chondrichthyes, Batomorphii). Revista Espanola de Paleontologia nr extraordinario:35-46

thanks!

4 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

I myself have only found very small ones, and only one in pristine condition. Then again I don't get out there multiple times a week like some people. (Hint, hint). I have seen pictures of a couple that size coming from there, but not a whole one.

:)  well why work today when you can work tomorrow haha     gotcha....thanks

5 minutes ago, Jeffrey P said:

It may be beat up[ and broken but I would be very happy with that.

yea man I was :)

On 2/27/2017 at 3:45 PM, brad hinkelman said:

yea I know,,  don't know if they are common that size at big brook....cool find though reguardless

Well, I guess it depends on how large your hand is (not a political joke).  I hear about "heartbreaker" specimens of these from North Carolina and Texas and I have certainly seen less-identifiable specimens than that one.  Texas collectors keep even the broken ones that would have been close to 2 inches or larger when complete because they are rare enough as they are and you should keep that one.  It's definitely a cool find because it gives you a real indicator of the size range.   

Archived