unknown tooth

Vlrockriver

Found in Peace River Florida. Any ideas what it could be? sorry about the pictures, I'm not very tech saavy.
No automatic alt text available.

About 1.75" long with a line on each side. Here's a couple more pics of the same tooth
Image may contain: one or more people

Image may contain: one or more people

Thanks for answering. The tooth has lines on both sides of the enamel. someone told me that means feline. I haven't a clue.

Certainly not a whale.  I think it could be a jaguar lower canine.  Lines? Vertical lines?  Carinae.  Bears, cats, canids and more all have carinae (cutting edges) on their canines.

Jaguar lower canines often have a wear facet at a diagonal to the tooth from rubbing against the upper canine.  Does your tooth have such a facet?  The size of your tooth suggests a smaller cat, say a panther.

bearjaguar2.JPG

catjaguarmandible.JPG

catpumacast.JPG

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

I agree with Harry. Not a Whale. Definitely a land based predatory mammal. 

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Whoops - got that wrong.:blush:

@Harry Pristis

I have some whale teeth that have the Carinae on them.

Can You please explain, what is diagnostic to identify this tooth as a terrestrial predator?

Tony

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

I wouldn't discount a seal as a possibility, but my gut reaction is "Carnivora" and definitely not toothed whale.

I would go with Panther miss Vikie I heard louis did some research and thats what he came up with nice find wish I had one:envy:

Joe

On 2/27/2017 at 9:33 PM, Harry Pristis said:

Certainly not a whale.  I think it could be a jaguar lower canine.  Lines? Vertical lines?  Carinae.  Bears, cats, canids and more all have carinae (cutting edges) on their canines.

Jaguar lower canines often have a wear facet at a diagonal to the tooth from rubbing against the upper canine.  Does your tooth have such a facet?  The size of your tooth suggests a smaller cat, say a panther.

Harry,  I magnified the B&W photos above and did not see a wear facet.  MUST it have one?

Here is a blowup of the color photo,  Vicki, can you get another photo just focused closely on the enamel.  Thanks   CanineVivki.jpg.c45fc1f1e3ee20994e7f7a515971415e.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

1 hour ago, Vlrockriver said:

I will as soon as I can figure out how I did it the first time!

That is my problem, I live in Arcadia and have plenty of fossils, just sporadic acsess to a camera and very little ability to post!

Archived