Feb. 27th, 2017 Peace River Unknown

Sacha

I've been working a hole for the last 3 visits to the river, more because it's a nice change of scenery for me, than because of the results. I seem to bring back more things I've never seen before from this spot than any other I've been digging in recently.

First of all, here's the take for the day......1 very nice meg, 3 decent megs and the rest.

DSCF1331.thumb.jpg.7500a95a170adb6ae8e1b0295566aafc.jpg

I was wondering if this bone might still be identifiable, even though it's pretty beat up. The back side is now worn featureless so I didn't picture it. I think it looks more like a complete bone which is very badly worn, than a broken end off of a long bone.

DSCF1332.thumb.jpg.48f037b3728f221544e90a59dfe917a5.jpg

DSCF1334.thumb.jpg.51a19dfe8f34a5703543e438d386bbb4.jpgDSCF1335.thumb.jpg.f2908139d6ee7727348c1593f717e3d0.jpg

Thanks for your attention and time.

Nice haul John!

I can't help with the ID of this one, but what do you have in the top right corner there?

Next to the horse tooth.

3 hours ago, FossilDudeCO said:

Nice haul John!

I can't help with the ID of this one, but what do you have in the top right corner there?

Next to the horse tooth.

That's one of those giant tortoise osteoderms Blake. I should stop picking them up, but this one is pretty big and I always have a hard time leaving decent fossils behind.

9 minutes ago, Sacha said:

That's one of those giant tortoise osteoderms Blake. I should stop picking them up, but this one is pretty big and I always have a hard time leaving decent fossils behind.

That is pretty big! I was thinking it must be an osteoderm, but did not think tortoise lol!

28 minutes ago, Crackercam said:

Can you guys help me i.d something I have?

Post a picture of it and we'll give it a try.

36 minutes ago, Crackercam said:

Can you guys help me i.d something I have?

Welcome to TFF!

Start a new thread in the fossil ID section and post pictures.

Someone here should be able to help You with an ID of it.

Tony

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

7 hours ago, Sacha said:

I've been working a hole for the last 3 visits to the river, more because it's a nice change of scenery for me, than because of the results. I seem to bring back more things I've never seen before from this spot than any other I've been digging in recently.

First of all, here's the take for the day......1 very nice meg, 3 decent megs and the rest.

DSCF1331.thumb.jpg.7500a95a170adb6ae8e1b0295566aafc.jpg

I was wondering if this bone might still be identifiable, even though it's pretty beat up. The back side is now worn featureless so I didn't picture it. I think it looks more like a complete bone which is very badly worn, than a broken end off of a long bone.

DSCF1332.thumb.jpg.48f037b3728f221544e90a59dfe917a5.jpg

DSCF1334.thumb.jpg.51a19dfe8f34a5703543e438d386bbb4.jpgDSCF1335.thumb.jpg.f2908139d6ee7727348c1593f717e3d0.jpg

Thanks for your attention and time.

Here is some help John,

Pretty positive on what it is, not so sure on exact species.MammutMetapodial007.thumb.jpg.3f0fc68aa8e6810495d83e9c889555d3.jpg

WARREN(1855)_Mastodon_Giganteus,_Plate_13_-_p301.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Thanks Jack. I have a mammoth metacarpal (Hulbert identified) similar to your photo and also 5" long. I was thinking along those lines because the interface surfaces are similar although this bone is an inch longer and some amount of length has definitely been worn off. We'll see if anyone else agrees.

Thought I might see you yesterday. I saw your partner (forgot his name again) and we talked about the mammoth tooth he found that you posted about. Fred had another group in the area again. It was a beautiful day. I'm going to try again Friday!

In the picture , the bone labeled "K" supports 2 bones above it. I have highlighted the photo below to show the two slants of the metacarpal. It also shows on the last photo of your fossil. I found my metacarpal in the approximate location that you were hunting yesterday. That was Dave that you met.

I was 3 miles upstream of your position yesterday.

Right now I have 2 potential sites for Friday , and hope to clarify soon. 58b5e93c99a51_Picture2035CMd.thumb.jpg.928a324afc62dcb27c093a0986151eba.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

I think you're spot on. I wish it were in better shape. I was a ways upstream of Dave, just North of the river's S curve and where Hog Branch comes in. I think it's about halfway to the park. That's where I'm going back to Friday.......lots of unrealized potential so far. 

Archived